using lights and sunlight every day

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Bobbypacman, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Hello there. I'm new to this site. It looks great. I've done some outdoor growing but I would like to start learning indoor growing. I understand that the electricity is very expensive. I have read some posts where people talk about taking the plants outside after growing them with lights for a certain period. They also say it should be done gradually to not give the plants a shock (e.g., they can start off outside but in a shade vs. direct sunlight). I'm wondering if it would be OK for the plants to have some indoor light from the lights and outdoor light from the sun every day. For example, if I want to simulate a 16 hour light period for the veg stage and it's winter in California. Maybe we get 10 hours of sunlight on average. Can I keep the plants outside for 10 hours and then bring them in for another 6 hours of light? Perhaps this can even be done with a greenhouse that gets good lighting from the sun during the day and when it gets dark turn on the lights for the extra needed light. Does anyone have experience doing this or know if this would work well or would it be too much of a shock for the plants every day?

I wanted to post a new thread about this somewhere but I didn't figure out how to do it. If I should post somewhere else, please let me know how and where to do it.

Thank you.