Using LED lights for 2 plants in my closet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by duhduhdubz, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Hey everyone, so I found some seeds in some dense bushy flame I got so it's got me thinking about growing again. I've attempted a closet grow in the past using soil and two HPS lights (175w and 250w) side by side. I never had a successful yield. The main issue was heat. The closet would quickly reach 100 degrees when it was closed.

That is why I'm currently thinking about a hybrid LED and CFL setup. I've been trying to do some research but I haven't found many journals for smaller operations using LED. My main questions are:

1. How much light will I need? Ive been considering a 90W UFO or 120W Triband. I also have a lamp with 5 sockets for the CFLs.

2. Which companies are reputable, or rather, how do I know if I'm getting a quality LED lighting fixture?

The closet is long maybe 9' long but the portion I will grow in is 2'x3'. Any additional advice is much appreciated, thanks.

2. How many plants do you plan on growing?

I have this and it works great for a 2x3. Adding some CFL's for a mixed lighting spectrum should get you awesome results. They also have better LED's for around the same watts that use the seperate light panels in 1 light but they start getting kind of spendy. Id this were my grow id go with the 240w LED, 2 bright white cfls, and 2 cool white cfls. My closed is 5x5 but I also grow in about a 2x3 space and if I close the closet all night to block out the light when I open it in the morning ive never seen it hotter than 84.

3. I suppose it depends on the strain. I imagine in a 2x3 space I could comfortably grow two large plants.

Are there any particular brands you would recommend to use or to stay away from for both the LED and CFL lighting? Any specific features to look out for?

4. No particular strains id stay away from. Anything you would like to grow should do great under my recommended lights. If you want to get some puple strains I think you have an advantage with an LED grow. ;)