Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Using Acetone/nail polish remover to clean my bong?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ResinGuzzler, Dec 30, 2013.

1. I have a 10 perc bong with a splash guard and a chamber underneath that's really hard to clean. I've tried iso plenty of times with salt and it gets a lot of it, but never all of it, and it bugs me because it looks tacky. I heard that acetone rips through the resin pretty well, so I went to Walmart and all I could seem to find is Equate regular nail polish remover with the following ingredients:
    Acetone, water, propylene carbonate, dimethyl adipate, glycerin, gelatin, fregrance, denatonium, benzoate, D%C yellow. 

So my question is, will this work and be safe to use? I figure pure acetone is best, but my main concern is safety before I try putting this stuff in my bong. Advice?

2. the only thing ive ever cleaned with is 90 percent iso and salt id be afraid with the acetone because its used frequently used to cut glass 

3. #4 SassyMelassy, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
    I've never owned a bong and I don't know much about them, but I've always used acetone to clean my glass pieces and it works like a charm. I wouldn't use anything other than pure acetone, though...
    I am assuming that once it is evaporated it's probably ok.
    I have no idea, however. I'm not dead yet. :laughing:
    I would imagine that it would probably be more dangerous with porous materials? Again... I'm just speculating. I have no clue.

4. No! No! NO! Acetone is not good for the glass itself. Nor is it great to inhale after cleaning, even if you rinse it very well. Acetone will weaken the glass!

See, I did not know this... but I will continue to use it because I like the results.
    I've never had an issue with it, I've used the same method for years, and the same pipes for years.
    Although, I did just notice a chip around the mouth-hole on my little chillum... I don't remember it happening at all, but it's still usable.

6. #7 Supernova423, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
     agreed on pure acetone. they sell so many most are different. some have glycerine or perfumes in them for nails!

7. @[member="SassyMelassy"] Upon further investigating, I may be wrong about it physically weakening the glass. However if you are going to use acetone it is best to use industrial grade acetone as it does not have other ingredients added to it.

You can buy pure acetone at the drug store... as nail polish remover.
    Unscented without any additives, which many nail polish removers have.

9. Well shit, guess I'll just  get some more iso. Any tricks to make the iso and salt work to get those really hard spots? Should I soak it overnight or something? 

10. if you let it sit and do its thing it will come out super clean ive seen some sit for a few days to get soaked off

• Like Like x 1
  11. urdoingitwrong

you need Salt + ALCOHOL / ACETONE.

Salt by itself will do nothing. Get a good 50/50 mix in the tube and shake the sh*t out of it.

Oh, and if you're afraid of the acetone because of the "fumes" don't worry. Once you rinse it out a few times and let it dry, there won't even be any trace of it. Just make sure to do a hot water rinse after you shake and clean.

12. I just used Acetone, it was awful. Only reason I used it was b/c I am awaiting my shipment of Randy's cleaner. This the best cleaner, should be sold by the military. It will make pipe better than new. I just bought a case from 4aces.

13. Tried it once and I ended up throwing the bong out cause the acetone smell stuck to the rez that still hadn't come off.

14. Randys will take care of your bong you threw away, you just have to find it.

15. For tough to clean bongs, i tend to soak over night, maybe even 2 night. I'll rubber band some plastic wrap to clog the holes. And leave in my bathroom, and shake every few hours.

Now to avoid all that, I wash my bongs once a week. Requires just a simple shake.

16. randys takes about 23 :55 minutes less and more effective ted

17. I'm not interested in shitty bong cleaner, tell Randy vinegar and salt works just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. well then the only things thats possible is u have not ever used it. i had the same attitude towards it too, but it was free with my heady glass...cant hurt to try

19. I just said I don't need it, not because it doesn't work but because I wont spend money on something with as limited uses as bong cleaner when vinegar works just fine and cost $1 a gallon. Not sure why your trying so hard to push this product, but its getting to the point where your spamming the thread.