Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Using a concentrate to make tincture in Magic Butter Machine?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Jpneid, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Question- Is it possible to use a cannabis concentrate (shatter) when making a tincture with the MBM2? If so, what is the desired ratio (depending on shatter potency of course)?

Any help with this process will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to make gummies to help with my Crohn's disease. I have tried melting the shatter directly into the gelatin mixture but noticed a brown oil-like separation on top of the mix, which made even distribution trickier. I'm hoping going the tincture route will allow for more control in the dispersement. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  2. The easiest procedure is to decarb the shatter (240 F for 40 min), then dissolve it in the desired amount of alcohol.
    Concentrates are highly soluble in 190 proof ethanol (everclear).
    Using MBM for this is counter productive, because that will make it more difficult without any benefit, plus the unavoidable losses in MBM.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks for the advice! One other question if you can help with the answer. I've read where lecithin can aid the digestion process but noticed that the MBM tincture recipe said specifically NOT to use it. If I'm making a tincture w/o the machine, is it possible to use and if so, can I just add the lecithin directly to the alcohol/shatter solution or is there another process to incorporate? Thanks so much for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lecithin isn't needed for alcohol tinctures.
    I frequently make tincture from whole herb, never use lecithin, and it's just as potent as the oils I also make using lecithin, comparing equal amounts of starting herb.
    I've also made tincture from shatter without lecithin.
    Lecithin is essential for making cooking oils/cannacaps, and the MBM is very good for doing that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks! Great info!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Question about decarb- when I decarb my shatter I decarb at 240F, check at 40 minutes, and continue to decarb if needed until the bubbles cease. I don't know if this makes a difference...

• Like Like x 1
  7. And one more question from me if I could, what is a recommended ratio for shatter to everclear? My shatter tested at 76% in my tCheck....I'm wanting to make a fairly potent tincture so that I have to use less of it in my gummie base preventing the taste of alcohol. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1 g of your shatter will contain 760 mg thc.
    For example, if you wanted to make 50 gummies of 20 mg thc each from the tincture, then you'd need 1000 mg thc, which could come from 1000/760 = 1.3 g shatter. The amount of alcohol used will depend on the gummie recipe, and shouldn't affect potency. I've never made them, so others might have advice about that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thank you!!