USB Device Over-current?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by GhanjaFog, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Had a slight issue a while back I leaned too far and almost tripped and it doing so stepped on my keyboard wire.

Pulled it so hard it destroyed a USB slot. After that the over-current thing came up so I tried to open my case and fix it, seemingly it worked because it didn't come up for a few months but its back and my computer shuts itself down every time I start it. How can I permanently fix this?

2. Honestly, your best option besides replacing the motherboard (because good luck getting and soldering on a replacement usb hub) is to at least get the computer to start up, then go into the BIOS and disable that USB interface

3. Well the good thing is that particular port isn't connected to the motherboard, its one of the 4 ports on the front of my tower. Not sure what to do about it aside from removing it

4. #4 disastronought, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    If that's the case, it's likely two sets of ports connected to two internal headers on the motherboard which are generally located along the very bottom edge of the board below the PCI/PCI-e slots. So at most you might only lose access to the bad port and one good one

5. You were right, I opened the case and unplugged one of the wires coming from the USB hub, fixed it right away, thank you :)

Weird how something so simple can keep the entire PC from working never seen the over current thing before this.