USAs future: Little girl denied surgery to help her walk due to budget cuts: Shannon, 6, has cerebral palsy and can only shuffle with a frame

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Feb 11, 2014.

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2556913/Little-girl-denied-surgery-help-walk-budget-cuts-Shannon-6-cerebral-palsy-shuffle-frame.html

2. Well that's what you get when you have government and bureaucracy involved in healthcare.

3. This is what happens when profit is the only motivation to induce medical research -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/vitamin-c-can-help-to-fight-cancer-us-research-suggests-9117324.html

That's right.  And so do the publicly funded research labs.  That in fact is the recommendation that the scientists are making.

5. its shitty, but i dont see why there was a news story about this.

you get what you pay for. having insurance doesnt mean you have every possible procedure at your disposal.

6. #7 Zulgaines, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
    The last time I visited the emergency room I had to take my grandmother there after she went blind in one eye. We were there 6 hours and saw the doctor maybe 20 minutes all together. It took so long her vision came back on its own around the 3 hour mark.

Medical care is also the number #1 cause of bankruptcy in the USA, and by a disgusting margin.

[​IMG]

The miracles of the American health care system I guess.

What does that have to do with the article?

But you cant blame the companies. A patent lasts about 13-14 years in America, and an average of $250 million is spent on trials/research/marketing by pharm. companies, which takes about 10 years. So they have to make up that $250 million in 3-4 years, quite the gamble.

But the next time you feel the need to discuss how bad profit is, you should send me a written letter via horseback, instead of using a computer to post over the internet, using electricity. Or you can invest your own $250 million.

Profit is not always bad and I don't believe what you think I believe (suprise, suprise).  But the free market has its limitations and I posted one example of where public money should move into an area the private sectors deems unfeasable.

As for the relevancy of my comment, you can ask Johnny the same question.

9. Socialized medicine always leads to rationing. Government has no other method of controlling costs.

As Margaret Thatcher (if memory serves) once said: "Sooner or later you run out of other people's money."

Market-based medicine, as it was when I was younger, is the only real solution. However, that will not happen until Washington "runs out of other people's money" and the system collapses -- which will take decades.

10. Pretty close.
    A patent lasts 20 years. A lot of time is required and since information has to be shared with their peers, they usually patent the product well before it can come to market.
    Because of this the patent can be extended for half the development time but not more then 14 years extra.

We won't even address the shady practices that allow them to squash the competition when the patent is about to expire. :smoke:

My bad, I confused the average time it takes a medication to make it to the market (13-14) years, with the patent time.

I was speaking off the top of my head, so :smoke:

12. That could work too. Hopefully we learn something that helps people.

Definitely.

14. I don't have any issue with what you said. Nor do I question it's relevance.

I'm not convinced that it's infeasible by either government or private sector.

I really hope it does.