URGENT - US Senate Committee To Debate Reevaluating The Drug War!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by HighMountainSkier, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Wow, I can't believe nobody posted this yet!

From Norml:
    This Thursday: US Senate Committee To Debate Reevaluating The Drug War! | NORML Blog

Click here to see if your Senator is on the this committee!
    Committee Members

Click here to contact your representative and tell them you want them to support Senate Bill 714
    Contact Officials - NORML

WOW - This could be huge!:hello:

2. Sweet, yay Chuck Grassley! Iowa is re-thinking the MMJ laws here too. Hope they choose the right decision.

3. Wow.....is this as big of news as I think it is? I mean is our US Senate Committee honestly re-examining our marijuana laws and even considering regulating it like alcohol...

...it's a new world my friends. I think we're just a little while away now before one huge party in the pot community breaks out in the form of....legalization.

4. This is so exciting. Hopefully a positive result will comne out of this debate.

5. Yeah, this is pretty cool. I love coming home from work and seeing the latest Norml headline, especially when it's something of this magnitude.

Considering that the White House officially told the Department of Justice to back off MMJ prosecutions AND the fact that the American Medical Association thinks that Cannabis should no longer be Schedule 1...I really think that the war is almost over, and we're just waiting for the peace treaty to be signed.:smoke:

6. Man....is anyone else just PUMPED up over this? I mean, even if nothing directly comes out of it, the fact that they're seriously considering and debating it is absolutely huge for the legalization movement.

7. Fixed it for you.

Here's a link to the actual Bill if anyone is interested in reading that. I read it...here's the goods as I see it.
    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

(4) the costs of current incarceration policies at the Federal, State and local level, including the relevant costs of law enforcement, the proportion of that cost associated with gangs and drug enforcement, the costs of constructing and administering prison facilities, the costs of post-incarceration supervision and reentry programs, and the cost of lost economic opportunities associated with the stigma of incarceration;

(6) an examination of current drug policy and its impact on incarceration, crime and violence, sentencing, and reentry programs, to include an analysis of the general availability of drugs in our society, the impact and effectiveness of current policies on reducing that availability and on the incidence of crime, and in the case of criminal offenders, the availability of drug treatment programs before, during, and after incarceration;

(6) restructure the approach to criminalization of, and incarceration as a result of the possession or use of illegal drugs, decreasing the demand for illicit drugs, and improving the treatment for addiction;

8. I'm glad everyone is pumped about this, now you need to see if your senator sits on the committee. If so fill out the form at Norml. Unfortunately my senators sits, and I'm going to fill out the form but Coburn is a stubbornly conservative JA.

9. I think this is a great step in the right direction. Hopefully the commission will recommend some BIG changes that will actually get made!

Thankfully the senator from MD sits on the commitee so I got to write him urging his support!

10. John Cornyn is tuff. glad my letter got to go directly to him :p

11. I'm confused how adding the date fixes it for me.

12. They are not considering a debate, but actually having one on Thursday;)

13. Hey grass city...ACT NOW, times running out. Take the time to email your congressman. In support of Senate bill 714. You guys are always wanting a chance to be heard, here it is. Its so simple NORML has already done the work for you, all you gotta do is fill in some personal info.

Heres the link to the article: Marijuana Law Reform - NORML

And heres a direct link to contact your congressman: Contact Officials - NORML

IF YOU GIVE UP THE RIGHT TO CHANGE SOMETHING, YOU ALSO GIVE UP THE RIGHT TO BITCH ABOUT IT.

14. I contacted my representative just prior to coming here. This is an amazing development in the War on the War on Drugs and I'm very pleased. Let's hope something comes of it, this fight against victimless crimes has gone on long enough.

15. Agreed. Now its time to see how many blades will put their money where their mouth is...

16. this is freaking awesome. Feels like legalization is getting closer every day. Debates and just general mentioning of weed are popping up everywhere. Everyone knows it's gonna happen eventually, now it's just a matter of when. :D

17. If stoners were organized weed would have been legal in 1970. :p

Don't worry about it too much, man. We all know our opinion doesn't really matter to our elected officials... be thou for the people? What a load of shit.

Obama inhaled. He's been one of us. I suspect he is one of us. 44% of Americans favor legalization. In 1972 it was recommended that it be decriminalized. The AMA and CMA support medical marijuana. How much more do we need to say the time is now?

No, Grasscity, the time is not in ten years. We don't have to wait ten or twenty years to get it legal, right now we have the chance. As 2009 leaves us, we have a ton of good news on our side. In 2010, who knows, maybe we'll finally see it full-on legal. Stranger things have happened.

They can't keep this up forever and even they know it.

18. Most people will cautiously view this and say that it's possible, and not necessarily likely.

I say, why not be a believer this time? In 1972 we came close. If the same thing that happened with Nixon in 1972 happened now, we would have it legal. This upcoming debate and the bill itself could be it.

No, I'm not being over optimistic, this could be it.

19. It's extremely interesting, considering most legislative entities are in year-end slow-down mode. Yet...

Dec 2 - PA has a medical marijuana hearing
    Dec 4 - US Senate Judiciary Committee will debate Senate Bill 714
    Dec 7 - NJ Assembly possible 2nd vote on medical marijuana (expected to pass)
    Dec 21 - NY Possible Special Senate Session on medical marijuana bill?
    (Any others??)

2010 is going to be an exiting year to say the least.