urgent need of assistance (plants growing to big i think)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fogman, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sup fellow growers, this is my first grow and everythin seems to be goint pretty good, i started flowering about 5 days ago and my plants were abou 19 inches tall, and now they are 30 inches tall and if they grow another 10 inches they will be level with the bulb. does any one know if they will stop growing taller soon or any ways i can stop them from growing taller, should i top them and keep on topping them so they dont grow any taller? i dont have any idea. also there is no sighn of any flowers yet is this normal? the only change since i put them on twelve twelve is that they have shot up and the bottom little leaves have turned yellow and fallen off is this all normal or do i have somethin to warry about. next batch ill start flowering earlyer i just hope i havent fucked this one, please save me!!!! thanx hope to speak soon

2. #2 ricard0, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    Topping is best applied in the vegging phase of growth, which allows the plant to grow many mature branches capable of holding flowers. I'd say 2 weeks before the switch to 12/12 is the cut off for topping. Of course, different strains and growers may have varying results.

What's your light source? There IS a common phenomena known as "the stretch" that occurs during flower, but 11" in 5 days seems alot. If they're not getting the PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) they want, they'll stretch for it. The distance from canopy to bulb determines the achievable PAR. Bigger bulb, higher wattage, more lumens, more potential PAR.

You CAN LST or otherwise train the plant to conform to your space at any time. Try looking into LST and/or training your plants.

3. im useing a 400 watt hps, im gonna check out that LST stuff i thought that was to make them grow side woods and shit, ive got no more room to the side its all crowded. what you recon if i cis cross the plants do you think that will work?

4. If you top them you should stop all upward growth which would promote more branching. Marijuana is known for its booming rate of growth, and in the cannabis grow bible (which is a great reference for all types of growers) and from personal experience, they can grow upward of 3" in a 24 hour period. Try training some branches, or even topping branches that are growing too tall, which will create more sub branching. Don't worry though, as long as you keep a 14" radius and a fan to blow between the canopy and lamp to reduce heat, you should be fine. If you notice some leaves burning or crisping, or leaves begin to curl upwards due to heat exhaustion, you will be just fine.

Work on your bonsai skills with this one, do some good tie downs and readjusting. Will help you with future grows :D

5. Stake em down

6. I had the same prob Fogman. What really worked for me was Super Cropping. Its really scary to do cuz u think your hurting the plant but it works pretty well. All you got to do is pinch the main stem of the plant and roll your fingers so you crush the Kurd inside the plant.

This will cause the plant to be weak in that spot and hunch over like an old person. For like 3 days only its branches will grow then the top will start growing up again, but by then you can start tieing it down to keep it horizantal.

Check out my plants if you need to see what i mean.

7. #7 ricard0, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    Best idea i've heard yet. A practice so second-nature to me, i didn't even think to mention it. LOL Fu@kin' stoner

BTW: OP You can technically still top/prune if you have to. But i would save this for a last resort. Topping after switching to flower will promote flowering on branches that have not had the opportunity to develop. This will tend to lead to the formation of smaller buds that grow all bunched up. I know this. I've done it. Not looking to repeat. 'Nuff said on that.

You can take your advice from someone with a utility-belt packed with links & books, or from someone who doesn't need either ;)

8. thanx guys for all the support i realy appreciate it, wengmastachung i couldnt find the pics of what you were talkin about, i think i know what you meen and your right its scary, im only gonna do that if all els fails and my last resort will be to top them.ive tied them over so ther like criss crossing each other its pretty messy but it brang them down a fair bit, they gre another 3 inches since yesterday. just 1 more question will they stop growing taller when the buds start to come, fuck i hope so. once again thanks for the support everyone.

9. #9 ricard0, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
    I hope for your sake they do stop stretching. It really depends on alot of factors. Unfortunately, for you, i sense that the stretch will last for the 1st ~2weeks of flower. As is typical. Better have those clippers ready LOL

Supercropping is not scary at all. You squeeze the stem, rotate your pinching fingers 90º and pinch again. (Only hard enough to collapse the stem, not snap it in two). Then let the stem lean over (hinging on the break) a bit. If you allow the branch to lean over so far it is hanging upside down, you've gone too far. The idea is to create a wound in the stem that the plant WILL try to heal (and most of the time it will) by pumping all sorts of hormones and stuff to the site of the wound.

You want the plant to still be able to transport chlorophyl through the stem, so propping it, or tying it, or somehow remanding it stationary will aid in this process. This will trick the plant into allocating hormones that are otherwise destined for the main/terminal cola.

10. There are some additives that will stop vertical growth also. Eel River Hydroponics: Product Info. BushMaster is a good growth regulator.....I've used for a couple of years now, and it virtually stops vertical growth and promotes flowering.