UPS For 400w HPS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by peterjackson, Mar 1, 2009.

1. I live in an area that's prone to power outages. Is there a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) that is suitable for a 400 HPS? Would I need a single or 3-phase system? Does it make a difference? Would the one I have hooked up to my computer work? Thanks and much love for the help.

2. the one from your PC should do just fine for a 400w HPS. just make sure its rated for the voltage/amperage you will be using.

single phase

3. also, i used to use a UPS/conditioner for my old PC, but found it used a lot of power, so i stopped using it. the benefit to using it, is so you dont lose data during a power outage. they usually only last 15 minutes or so.

just curious why you would use it for your grow. to keep the lights on in case of a power outtage? if so they will only stay on for 15 minutes, which isnt much. doesnt seem worth it comapared to the power usage.

unless of course you have a cooling system that needs to stay on, but again 15 minutes isnt much.

4. Thanks for the responses guys. The power goes out pretty regularly in my area, but only for 5-10 minute intervals. Once the power goes off, however, my lighting won't start again unless it's turned on manually, and if I'm at work that could be a problem. So, I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea to get a UPS to ensure everything is running smoothly without interruptions. I'm into week 6 of flowering, so I guess I'm starting to get ultra protective :D. Once again, thanks for the replies. Peace!

5. I have the same problem. A UPS big enough to run a 400hps for very long will be quite expensive. I'm planning on using a smaller UPS on some CFL's that will keep the light cycle correct when power goes out. The HPS timer will be digital with battery backup to keep it's cycles correct. A generator is best if you have outages for days at a time