UPS anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by bloodshot eyes, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Does anyone else work at a UPS hub? If you do, how have your experiences been working for them?

2. i workd for them.. they have top notch benefits and part of a union, i was a package handler so my life pretty much sucked.. u dont make much money and its kinda strenious sp?

3. I work in shipping and recieving usually and I talk to all the delivery guys all the time. A FedEx guy told me he quit UPS after years, for FedEx even though UPS gets paid about $10 an hour more than FedEx, but he said UPS treats all their employees pretty shitty.

4. When I worked there it was a good job, everyone was treated very well and the benefits were awesome. They pay wasn't the best, but it was definitely a good job. Unless you go management or something, there is no DT. Everyone starts out as package handler.

5. I was just wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences with them. Ive worked there for a year now and I cant stand it any longer. I dont think Ive ever been disrepected and talked down to so much. I work as a loader.

6. When I worked there it was all gravy, but I couldn't keep the job due to how far away it was from my place... Didn't leave me enough time for school. Which was why I got the job in the first place, being part time.

People were good though. Never was talked down too. I saw a lot of people get talked down to though. A lot of people it was just their first job and they couldn't handle any sort of manual labor. Anybody who made it past the 3 month mark usually wasn't talked down too. I mean, I had a job before that lifting stone tile for 10-12 hours a day, so they didn't have to much of a problem with me since lugging mail boxes for 5 1/2 hours is nothing in comparison. Would have stayed there longer if it was more feasible with school.

What kind of bad mouthing do you get? Do you just have a dick head supervisor? At the hub I worked for, they had a special person that walked around just to make sure your supervisors or managers weren't giving you to much shit, some union person who you could log in all of your complaints with. Maybe you should speak with this person about your bad experiences? I think they're in every hub, and their whole union job is to make sure you're not being harassed by management or spoken down too.

7. IMO UPS is slave labor, i wouldnt work there again if i had a gat pointed at my head.

8. Wow I can't believe all this negative response towards UPS. I know multiple people that are lifers at UPS, putting in over 20 years each. All of them love the company. One of the guys, a driver that I go hunting with, pulls in over $120,000 a year. Knowing over 20 people at the local hub from loaders to drivers and up to international sales managers I'm really confused how you guys could have been treated so shitty. I guess it all depends on location. At least I know the local guys around here get taken care of.

9. Yeah, that's what I was saying. At my hub EVERYONE was happy. I mean, I can say if it was more feasible I would definitely have stayed there. The job was killer. I don't think I've had a better job, personally. (well, I've had much better jobs, as far as work, but as far as the people or how I was treated, UPS was the best) But I do know there is a person that works for the union in every hub, whose job it is to make sure you are happy, so I'd definitely check that out if I had any problems. At the old hub I used to work at, those people came around and saw you EVERY shift. Always there to make sure things were going alright.

I know a few lifers there, too. They're all extremely happy. Kind of weird to hear negative stuff come from the UPS employees around here.

I guess it really does make a difference depending on the location you work at.