Upgrading to a 240v breaker box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Dr Hoops 23, Sep 15, 2017.

1. I've been growing pretty successfully for 4-5 years now.. been in my first house for just over a year and from what I can tell I've reached the bridge that most ambitious growers coMe to... more electricity! Time to breaker box this shit up. I bought a titan Helios 8 breaker box (240v, 60hz, 50amps input, 40 amps output.) I have many questions, and zero electrical experience. It

- do I need to get all new ballasts to plug into the 240v breaker box? Or run it as usual..
    - what gauge cable do I need to buy? (Specifically)
    - I found a 240v plug that runs approx 30' from breaker box to behind the stove that is just sitting there behind the oven wasting away. Could I some how use this cord since it's already set up into my circuit breaker?

Any feedback would be amazing. I don't come on here enough.. but this is where I did all my research when it was all getting started, so I figured it is only right to reach out to the same generous and wise GC community to help navigate the upgrade, and make dreams come true, AGAIN!! much love

2. NOT an expert here....not even close...

Analog ballasts can be rewired for 240V if that's what you have. The wires inside should be marked and there may be schematics to be had on the Net/manufacturers site to make the switch if you have questions. Digitals should recognize the voltage and adjust accordingly.

As to the plug you found....looks like the Helios needs at least an 8/2 wire according to the instructions. Check to see what this wire is and what amperage the breaker is that it is connected to...or if it's connected at all. If it's the right size/etc....you may be able to strip the plug and attach the wires to the Helios. My guess is that it's for a range....and will either be 30 amps or 50 amps. (usually 6 gauge wire....roughly 5/8" -3/4" round)

Dunno what else to say but be damn careful........ that's some serious power/amps to fuck with.