Upgrading current grow, need advice

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Ragz, Jun 24, 2012.

1. I currently grow out of a tent and cabinets each with a 2x4 foot print, and I also use a 2x3x4 box for cloning. I use the tent (with having a MASSIVE 5 foot height) to veg my girls and house my 2 MOMs. I have 3 x 125W CLF's to veg under.

I use the 2x4 cabinet with the 6.5 foot height for flowering. I have a 400W HPS supported bt 400W of CFLs.

I pot the plants in 2-3 gallon containers and yeild 2-3 oz dry per plant.

I have been trying to design a perpetual grow based on the the following upgrades I have now:

1 x 1000w HPS (hood, yadda)
    8x6x7.5 footprint to grow in
    100ft Mylar (2 mil - reflective)
    2 x 220 CFM 6" inline fans
    6" ducting

Non-upgrades:
    1 x 400w MH
    3 x 125W CFL
    8 x smaller wattage CFL
    2x4x5 grow tent
    2x4x6.5 cabinet
    2x3x4 box

I know the upgrades scream "ALL FLOWERING UPGRADES" and by default, I should keep the current grow area, add on the extra and convert what I use now to all vegitation, BUT I want to consolidate all the plants together in one place.

I may be able to get a larger area than 8x6x7.5 maybe 8x10x7.5.

I am looking to put up a perpetual grow that generates a flowered girl every week. I also want to increase volume from 2 oz per plant to 6oz.

Ideas and input are welcome, as I am brainstorming and look to have the new grow completed by July 1. Thanks! :smoke:

2. #2 Jellyman, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
    In the second list you say "2x4x6.5 cabinet", singular, but at the top you say cabinets, plural. How many cabs do you have or plan to use?

How big do your plants usually get by harvest time? height, width, etc and do you train them in any way?

Will the tent, box and/or cabs take up any of the new 8x6-10' area?

What is the 8x6-10' area? A room, part of a room, etc?

Do you have any plan you're considering for the new setup?

If you haven't already, consider a plan with larger but less frequent harvests. A grow with a harvest every week can be alot of work and can easily gets in the way of real life; vacations/going out of town, certain emergencies, etc. Even biweekly harvests could be easier while yielding the same amount in the long run.

3. Just got happy on the keyboard while typing. There is no plural to cabinet. :)

1 Cabinet (2x4x6.5)
    1 Tent (2x4x5)
    1 Box (2x3x4)

I think I just uniformly reger to them as cabinets and my current grow is a cabinet grow.

Right now I only use 2-3 gallon containers, so on average I get 2-3 oz of dry per plant. As far as training right now, I top during veg if they veg for more than 3 weeks. If I am running a 2 week quick veg, then the only training I do is on Sativa dominant. I lean them over and they scrog themselves. Usually the sativas are too tall for my tiny grow spot, and sideways is the best way for me to grow them.

I will be stepping up to 5-10 gallon containers that are larger around than they are tall, and mounting a scrog screen over each plant. Goal to get each plant to a QP or more.

My 8' new grow space is in my garage. I am sectioning half of the garage for my garden. I have locked up my garage door with bolts in the tracks, and then sealed around the interior door to prevent any light leaks. From the outside, the garage looks as it has for all the years I have lived here.

For a plan, I was looking at doing an 8x10 total area, with a partition wall in it giving one 8x6 area for flower and one 8x4 area for veg.

Good advice about the bi-weekly vs weekly harvests, Jelly. It is something I do need to weigh out.