Upgraded RAM

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by californication, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Well I got high enough one night to say to myself that I need to buy more memory for my computer, so i ordered it online and it just came today. at first i had a hard time putting it in, but that cause i didnt pay attention to the little things on the bottom of it, but i finally got it and WOW!!! i noticed a BIG change!!!

2. #2 TokinGeek, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
    Congrats! It's nice to roll with at least 4 gigs.

100th post!

3. hah!!! lol my hard drive is so old, the max is 1 gig

4. What does your hard drive have to do with how much memory you can have? :D

5. i ment ram lol

6. lol get a motherboard that can support 24GB RAM..... hehehehehe
    that defeats the purpose tho.
    4GB is good for an everyday user..

7. 8 gigs ftw, now if only it was ddr3 -_-

8. I would love to know what motherboard that supports 24GB of RAM is cost effective, you'd have to have 6 4GB DIMMs, I can't even imagine the combined cost of that and the motherboard.

9. It's easily cost effective for businesses. If a server will power a database that earns your company thousands of dollars a month, it is easy to justify several thousand dollars for a powerful server.

Also, I've seen motherboards with as many as 32 DIMM slots for up to 256GB of memory (not ATX form factor, of course).

10. I meant for a desktop solution, but my bad for not saying it. I can see what you mean though, I've never actually worked with servers so 32 slots?! That's crazy. Do you work with computers often? You seem very knowledgeable with them regardless :)

11. 24GB is still quite a stretch for a desktop and I wouldn't call it cost-effective, but it could be used by someone working with a lot of high-resolution, uncompressed video/audio/images. The trick is that by the point you're using that much memory, the memory is not your bottleneck.

And yep, I work with computers 50-60 hours/week (not counting personal endeavors). Working on shrinking that number if I can.

12. Ive got 4 on board. No clue latency/timing. Only 3 usable with my currant bios because it alots 1 gig automatically to my graphics, but my graphics has 1gig dedicated so it over kill like a bitch. Obviously I'm running 64bit but there is no bios upgrade to unallot the 1 gig.

O man the project I had to do at school. Dual quad cores running at 3.2ghz per core with 16gigs ddr3 matched low latency ram..... Damn things cost $10,000 but you could do some major fucking "servering":hello:

13. I got 4 GB ddr3 on my laptop
    it supports up to 8 GB ddr3 :D
    sony vaio's are the shit........ windows 7 64bit ultimate as well.....

14. Check your BIOS settings. If you have a separate graphics card, you should be able to disable the builtin graphics chip and free up that gig!

15. hell yeah, thats always a good day if your a computer person:smoke:

16. Yeah, Im currently running with 512mb ram, a 30gig HD, and a radeon 9200 card. Hear my story and weep knowing you can never match the greatness of my rig.

It sucks knowing that certain smartphones&netbooks could slay my computer.

17. Oh man! Those specs bring back memories! Anyone remember desktop computers with "turbo" buttons whose only purpose was to run the Intel 386 at full speed when pressed? Yep, I'm talking about the days of 20MHz computers with 4MB of memory and maybe 20MB permanent storage. Oh, and floppy disks that were actually floppy and the size of my head, with a capacity of 640KB. Man, those were the days. :rolleyes:

18. I think I'm a little insulted that my PC reminds you of that.

So the turbo button was like a toggle or what? Why not just run it in turbo all the time? Heating issues?

19. Haha, didn't mean it as an insult..well, not completely. ;)

The button was a toggle, everyone had it pressed in, and no heating issues. I'll explain it differently. Without the button pressed in, the speed was REDUCED by a few MHz. It wasn't a button for overclocking, which is why it was so hilariously stupid. :laughing:

20. its ok, i know it sucks. shouldnt be too much longer til i get a new one.

wow... so why even have the button lol? i guess it sounds like a cool feature that your PC has a "turbo mode"