(UPDATED) Dog bitten by a rattle snake! POST pic inside

Discussion in 'Pets' started by enived, Apr 26, 2012.

1. #1 enived, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
    Got bit in his face while i was gardening outside. Thankfully i heard it as soon as it happened and got him to the vet faster than any hybrid has ever gone before (triple dig). He had a vaccination years ago which probably aided in his slow reaction but still he scared the shit out of me!
    I got him back home today and was thrilled even though his face is still a bit swollen.
    Anyways that was my recent drama with happy ending

UPDATE: Your guys kind word must have sped along his recovery! I got some pics of him back to business chasing fish around my pond.
    Thanx guys! :hello:

Attached Files:

2. oooops!
    TRIPLE POST sorry guys first time ive ever posting

3. Poor dog. What kind of rattlesnake?

4. Well, I'm thrilled it turned out well for ya. He's a cool dog.

5. I think western diamondback. Poor dudes been crying all day, but the swelling has gone down substantially thank god!:hello:
    He'll be alright though hes a soldier :cool:

6. They're nasty, but you and he are really lucky it was a mild bite and he wasn't tagged by something like a southern pacific.

7. What was the exact chain of events? Just curious. Did you kill the rattlesnake before going to vet?

8. Poor guy!

Glad he's okay though!

:hello:

9. glad hes okay man smoken one for him now :bongin:

10. Hey thanx guys, we both appreciate it. Well shoot ill slam down the whole story real quick.

From the start.. i was with the guy out in the yard doing some gardening a few days back. I turned and stepped about 10feet away when suddenly I heard the weirdest gasping whimper ive ever heard come out of his mouth! When i turned back around he was running away from our woodpile (obviously a friendly environment for a snake) and he was shaking his head vigorously. He ran back to the house where i followed. I tracked down the injury site to his right lip and i squeezed it hard, where to my horror two separate pin pricks, about a finger spacing apart, started to leak blood! "Oh fcuk its a snake!"

Now at this point i didnt know what kind of snake, so I screamed for my wife to start watching him because by his harsh reaction i suspected a rattlesnake. I then very safely and very quickly started tearing down our wood pile trying to find what it was.

After about 10minutes the pile was ripped down and the pallet the wood was laying on was flipped completely over, but yet nothing. I then ran back to him to find his right eye droopy and bloodshot red. His right lip already looked like it had a golf ball stuffed in it, but when i noticed the swelling had also spread down his throat i decided to get his ass to the vet asap!

After a long but yet very fast trip in a freaking hybrid, and after my wife nearly had three heart attacks, we arrived at the vet. The vet quickly guaranteed it was a rattlesnake and took him to the back to stay a couple nights hooked up to an IV and pumped full of medicine.

Before treating him however they gave me a long debate over the treated methods. To get him injected with anti-venom it was an estimated $2,000! Thats 2 grand that i could get under the circumstances but absolutely just dont have laying around the house. They talked me into the basic treatment which they assumed he would be ok and ran under $500. After some guilty ass highs and bad sleep i got my boy back, still swollen but still the man!

Also, i never found the rattlesnake but will be moving the woodpile out of the yard for good once this storm passes!

11. Wow, poor dog! You should get him(?) a nice cow femur from petsmart or another animal place when he can eat it and not be in pain.

12. Poor dog man glad it's alright vet bills expensive as fuck.

Now torch that wood pile have a nice rattle snake dinner.

13. ^^ i wanted to give him a big bone to keep him busy but unfortunately because of the swelling he cant chew very well.

So instead i have resorted to blowing bud in his face to chill him out and make him relax :D

Thankfully he likes it cause i always give him lots of loves when i smoke him out :smoke:

14. haha im ready for him if he dares come back!

15. Aww, poor doggy! I'm glad you were able to get him to a vet so quick and that he's doing alright. Get well soon, doggy. :smoking:

16. Anti-venin is God awfully expensive. If you look online, there are actually classes that you can take to train your dog to stay away from snakes. 90% of the time, a dog is gonna get bit on the face because, as dogs are prone to do, they use their nose to figure things out.

17. ^^ absolutely.
    The funny thing is he went to rattlesnake training a few years ago. I guess it served him up until this point. I dont know, maybe in his excitement he was trying to figure out exactly what that familiar smell was again and then "WACK" he got too close for the snakes comfort.
    I sure hope he doesnt forget after this time otherwise im gonna make a slave out of him and get my money in vet payments back! jk ;)

18. Daw... poor pup. I'm glad theres no rattle snakes were I live.

19. There are timberback rattelers here in vermont where do you live? I want to move out west but HATE snakes