Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

(Update) . . I want to be a glass blower, specifically BONGS

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Hashed Out, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Don't be a douche. You probably get high every day. How often does that contribute to your bank account?

2. My first hater :hello: probably unemployed

3. Well then my cone 10 electric kiln with kiln sitter will be perfect then. My crystall glazes use ramps and the kiln sitter is a digital controller that I use to hold temps to encourage the crystals to form. Maybe this time when I set my studio up I will buy a front loading kiln. I believe the kiln has 10 ramps.

4. Don't listen to this guy I have had and am starting to build a ceramic studio. Cost me $1,000's but worth it even though I usually don't make any money. Mostly give stuff away to friends or charities for auction. Do what makes you happy and profit is not always a factor.

I love my hobbies and it keeps me balanced. Ceramics, growing, snowbaording and martial arts are my main hobbies at this time but who knows maybe glass blowing. Just be careful you read about the health effects and take all precautions not to make yourself sick. I know glass blowing as well as ceramics can be a health hazard if not done right. Silica is not the best thing for the lungs.

Here are pics of some pots. Mostly 2nds because I gave away the good stuff. When you have a studio my teacher said only keep what you can display and get rid of the rest. If you make something new that you are so in love with that you have to keep then you would be willing to get rid of another piece you are displaying or you don't love it enough. You don't want to hoard your hobby. :)

The crystals form randomly when holding temps just below 2400 F. I love the suprise when I open the kiln to see whats formed.

Attached Files:

5. #25 Gryphonics, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    Lol! No I'm a pawnbroker. I get $17/h - 45 hours a week + the commission when I sell something and even more if I find something to buy and resell. What do you do, pump gas?

Go ahead and burn your money away with glass blowing if you're passionately set upon it, it's not easy at all. And your best bet is to slap Bob Marley's face on everything and you won't have to worry.

6. Who says the guy wants to make money? Did he ever say, "I want to corner the market on glass?" All he said is he wants to try and blow glass and you have to come in and be negative and hate. Just because you deal with scum all day doesn't mean you need to be negative. Money is just an ends to a mean. I blow 10's of $1,000's on my hobbies and with little monetary return but what I get is priceless!

7. Well ain't you just so much better than the rest of us. No need to be a douche. Nobody likes douches.

8. Bump. Update is on first page

9. Let me tell you guys, its pretty cool smoking out of a pipe I made.

10. I want to get started on this hobby, howd you start out? Any tips?

11. I got lucky enough to meet a glass blower who lets me use his kiln, but it takes a lot of money to get started regardless. I just bought a torch and some tools and glass and started practicing.

12. [quote name='"Gryphonics"']LOL sure. What's the benefit? If you do it as a hobby it's just burned useless money and time, if you try and make it a business you'll just fail. Nobody would buy anything because you don't know what you're doing. You also have to go to school and you have no idea how expensive glass blowing is, the kiln and all that shit cost lots of money and isn't easy to find and if you make your own furnace don't expect to make anything but glass toothpicks.. Don't waste your money. If you expect to just get stoned all day maybe you should just have your own grow and crop and make use of your time, that's a better business AND hobby if you know what you're doing.[/quote]

This guy is such a debbie downer, don't bother listening to him. It is your money and your time. If you have your financials in order and have the time to dedicate to learning how to blow glass then enjoy your new hobby. Seems like you found someone who can give you some lessons so soak up the experience.

13. Don't let the haters get you down man. Everybody has a passion in life and if yours is blowing glass go for it. At least it is a hobby that you can make some money from if you want. Good luck.:smoking:

14. [quote name='"Hashed Out"']I got lucky enough to meet a glass blower who lets me use his kiln, but it takes a lot of money to get started regardless. I just bought a torch and some tools and glass and started practicing.[/quote]

Kool, yeah I saved up like 12 hundred and I'm taking 2 lamp working classes soon. Hopefully it works out :smoke:

15. Sounds cool. Good Luck!!!