"unpaid" internship

Discussion in 'General' started by EBeasy, Jun 16, 2010.

1. So I'm doing this summer marketing internship, and originally it was just a few tasks and communication via email (it was all unpaid). Now my "boss" is trying to get me to work 6 hours at 3 games doing paid work like concession stand, ticket sales, taking stats. This was never in the pamphlet (for lack of a better term) and when I emailed her back about her paying me for the 6 hours of work she said it was part of my internship and I needed to get so many hours.

Is this bullshit or what?

2. I just got out of an internship that was a year and a half long. I pretty much made it clear I wasn't working for free anymore.

3. Usually you do internship before you get your college degree. You work for however many hours you must complete before you could recieve your diploma. So yea your boss isn't bullshitting, I just don't see how you must complete however many hours for a telemarketing job?

4. Its not an internship through my school (my school charges too much money to count internships for credits), and its unpaid. It's pretty decent experience (now I know what not to look for haha).

My "boss" keeps adding extra tasks and things that would be a minimum wage part time job at least. We are kind of e-mail battling (like being an asshole but still professional) right now I'll let you know how it goes.

5. Just be like "$ or gtfo", via email of course. Cause that's professional

6. haha well basically the "Boss" tried sneaking in some extra activities that werent supposed to be part of my internship. and now that i'm asking for money for some of the extra work she now says that if im interested in not continuing she will adjust.

We have this other kid who is from China doing the "internship" but all he does is chase balls during games, last time I checked that isnt an internship.

7. Ya unpaid labor sucks. I volunteer at a hospital in the OR. I basically just do unpaid labor for 3 hours, three days a week, it kinda sucks. But the experience I gain and the fact that I can put it on a resume is priceless I guess. Still boring as shit though.

8. If you don't feel like you're getting value out of it and it's not through your school, get out of there

I did three unpaid internships when I was in college and although I always wanted to leave by quitting time, there were times when I stayed late and did more than I expected myself to be doing

9. Do you have a printout of the internship description that you applied for? Or a list of your job duties that you were given? If you do or can find one, show it to her and tell her that any activity not on that list must be paid for.
    Here is some additional info:
    We Don't Have To Pay Our Interns - Do We? : Wage and Hour Law Update
    Labor and Employment Law Blog: Unpaid Internships - Common but Illegal

10. Thanks for the descriptions. I just emailed her telling her how I should be paid for extra things and the "boss" tries to say how they mentioned working in "other areas". I told her I wasn't going to school for marketing to learn how to sell items at a concession stand haha

11. I've never been an intern before but if the work they're asking you to do involves anything that is outside the scope of your duties then they are abusing system. Its ridiculous how interns get treated sometimes. I used to work at an entertainment company where the executives would send the interns out to pickup lunch and run personal errands for them. I think its totally unacceptable because it has nothing to do with the industry you are trying to prepare yourself for. On the other hand, sometimes you just have to put up with it if you think there is a chance that they might hire you.