Unnoficial CNBC poll: 97% favor decriminalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by godknows, Feb 26, 2009.

1. I was just at the website for the CNBC documentary "Marijuana, Inc." http://www.cnbc.com/id/28621704
    There is this poll there that asks if you favor decriminalization. I thought the results were pretty funny, so I thought I would share.

I love how they had to put the disclaimer.

2. #2 2MuchSkunk2Nite, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    Decriminalization is a dumb concept when you think about it. To say that its a minor offense to own something, to use it, and to possess it; But a major offense to produce it or sell it just seems like a really illogical position. Where do they expect you to get it without committing a crime? We still don't get to tax it and it's still driven by criminals.

Legalization NOT Decriminalization! The distinction is simple. Legalization of marijuana makes it a product that is legally available to adults. That doesn't mean that there's unregulated distribution, unregulated sale, and unregulated use.

The decriminalization of marijuana still makes it an offense. You're not going to go to jail for it under a decriminalized model, but society is still saying no to it. It doesn't address the problems of organized crime, and it doesn't create a situation where you have retail sales.

3. This is true, but decriminalization is still progress by itself. Legalization will be a hard thing to achieve and any steps towards it should be accepted.

4. Yea, I totally agree with you. I don't really think decriminalization is the right answer, I just thought that the poll was funny. Legalization would neutralize the criminal organizations that parent groups and agencies are so concerned about, but decrim. would not.

5. im just curious about a few things, in america the people are supposed to be the determaning factor for our national decisions, right? so if a national poll was taken from around the united states about the legalization of marijuana, the poll would most likely show that legalization is favored by id say a pretty good deal, agreed? well if the majority of the population of the united states would like it legalized how did it become illegal to begin with and why doesnt someone actually do this poll so it can be legalized?

6. Decriminalization is just is turning your head the other way. Let's it remain a gray area. We need legalization!

7. Because the USA isn't a true democracy, it's a representative democracy, meaning our representatives make decisions, not us. So until we get the majority of our reps to support decrim or legalization, it won't happen.

8. would anything change if a giant list of signitures was taken? im pretty sure that would get every rep.s attention if we had like 3 million plus signitures, i think it would force some change but im no pro

9. When I was in high school, I could get bud, coke, etc. so much easier than I could get alcohol or cigs. From the government perspective, there are no downsides to decriminalization besides however much money pharmaceutical, oil, etc. companies are paying them to keep it illegal.

10. Yea, but if it was fully decriminalized, as in no laws existing anywhere in government concerning marijuana, then that would be fine too.

11. Well that's not what decriminalizing means...

No one who knows what they are talking about thinks decrim is the answer. Decrim is a stepping stone to easy the psychology of legalization amongst conservatives.

12. Haha, all true, but almost word for word from The Union.:p

13. They don't expect; Ever hear of the Marijuana Tax Stamp Act?

You needed to already have the pot to get the Stamp (which would make it legal to have) but the pot you had to get the stamp was illegal.

Decriminalization would be a purposeful attempt at creating a loophole to exclude most people, yet fuck over a minority beyond belief.

They'll be saying "but we can't tax it" for quite awhile, and I'll be saying in response "Well you fuckers sure seem to do fine job on [taxing] tobacco."

Theoretically, if it were legal, it could be set up to be grown and sold just like Tobacco (a double edged sword for the industry; Cheaper to grow and produce, yet no addiction to keep the profits rolling) and more plausibly, the could require a tax on a license to privately grow Marijuana.

I'd be fine with paying a few bones a year to keep a piece of paper or card valid that would entitle me to grow my own pot. Hell, I don't care if it was a hundred bucks a year; It'd be infinitely cheaper than what I/we already spend on it illegally, and then that money could actually go to a good cause.

Grow Pot; Keep our schools open!

:rolleyes:

14. Lol, I wasn't trying to start a debate, but it is encouraging to see a lot of people that are aware of the differences between Decriminalization and Legalization. Decrim is just a stepping stone like MMJ. It is certainly not the answer, but it does help educate people and get them used to the idea of people taking MJ. I don't necesarily support Decriminalization like I do Legalization, but I wouldn' vote against it either.

15. #15 badger, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
    I think legalization on a federal level is about 20-30 years away, maybe even further. Legalization will be completely state driven in the next 15 years as people slowly start to realize the benefits from legalization. Thats why the legislation in California is so special right now. California NEEDS the money and they aren't the only state in that situation. Once California does legalize it (might not be this year but they will be the first) they will be on a podium to show if legalization actually works. If they can profit from it and not see a dramatic spike in marijuana related crimes (minor use/accidents/health problems) then all the other states where marijuana use is somewhat socially acceptable will follow suit. Keep in mind not all states are pro-marijuana. Im sure if you brought the issue to Arizona for instance where simple possesion is a felony, they aren't so coy about Mary Jane in their state.Then its just a matter of disassembling the DEA as it exists now and then federal legislation will come. Keep in mind there are ALOT of dollars being thrown at marijuana to keep it illegal. The only people that suffer from prohibition are the taxpayers. People with money (big growers/criminal dealers/pharmaceuticals/tobacco) are just fine and dandy with a cheap, affective, non addictive agent being prohibited and I don't think their oppinion on that will change any time soon.

As for our generation, we just had the unfortunate circumstance of living in an era where prohibition seems illogical to alot of the younger educated individuals but most of the older generation (those in political power) are too accustomed and feel strongly about prohibition. We just need time for a fresh group of faces in Washington and more concrete evidence that Marijuana legalization, taxation, and regulation is much better than creating a multi-billion dollar black market where criminals control the cash flow and the only people who are happy are people who stand to make a lot of money off something that grows in dirt.

16. Decriminalization is still a step in the right direction... no? Especially in places where it's just outright illegal.