Unemployed forever?

Discussion in 'General' started by Crazydru, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I've been unemployed since sept. and still no call backs with me sending out resumes and apps every other day.....what the hell is going on?? arkansas/OK area

2. I live in South Mills North Carolina. I got a job from a walk in at burger king (AND THERE ARE NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKEN JOBS HERE!). You are either being too picky, or are not trying hard enough.

3. apply this to every day

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4tbZ7xnEjk]YouTube - It's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do...[/ame]

4. LOL nah man I apply everywhere, even fast food places.

5. do you have any skills? if not, go to school or learn a trade or something...gotta do what ya gotta do in bad times

6. I haven't had a job since January 2008, so cry me a river. Then again, I'm a stay-at-home Dad, and I haven't been looking very hard because the hours I can work are not conducive to the jobs that I usually take. And I have my BA in English and a 20 year work history at a variety of well-paying jobs. I'm overqualified for most of the positions that I see.

7. All this experience and no job? why are you even commenting?

I have over 2 years in retail 2 years in fast food and 1 year long term care....

8. I feel for you OP... Ive got a bachelors degree, did four years in the Air Force, and have been working since I was 18, even through college.

Until last January.

And just like you, I'm out there every day. I drop applications, I stick my head in every business I walk past and ask "you hiring?", Ive applied at fast food, walmart... nothing. Then I come home and apply for everything I can find online. So far I've gotten nothing but scams.

My credit is SHOT from not being able to pay my bill regularly, and I haven't even been able to start touching my student loans.

Food stamps got us by the last few months (just ran out), and the three of us living in the apartment (my roommate, my fiance and I) have been selling plasma to pay the rent and power. My roommate's mom payed our internet bill last month.

My roommate can move back in with her parents, but I'm pretty sure my fiance and I are going to be homeless in the next month or two if I can't find something.

9. You should watch Heat(1995).

It shows you the way.

10. I know three people with PhD's who can't find work.

Recession sucks.

11. I just got a job about 2 months ago as a dishwasher. I work 1 day a week but atleast its something.

12. Because experience and qualifications are meaningless in this economy - that's the point I'm trying to make - there just aren't enough jobs to go around - and far too many qualified individuals are not employed. It's not just OP.

I used to send out as many resumes as I could, hundreds a week, and I'd get about a 10% response - usually with interviews. That was about a decade ago. Now, you're lucky if you get a 1% response.

It's TOUGH out there in America.

13. Yeah I'm a newly certified lawyer and having a tough time finding a job. For everyone, don't automatically assume more degrees and certifications are the way to go.

14. craigslist

respond to 20 ads a day, it'll take you less than an hour. just send the same resume with a little bit of varied content in your email. its not hard, you aren't trying hard enough or are being too picky

depending on the job your looking for of course...im just talking about a job that brings in money for now, if your looking to be like an exec or some shit then i have no clue what im talking about

15. You have to be careful with Craigslist- there are a lot of good sounding ads that are scams. Even I have been hit a couple times, and I'm pretty savvy about sussing out scams.

And sending 20 resumes from CL ads is good, but don't expect more than 1 to reply.

16. of course its a risk, and not an extremely high probability. its easy and not time consuming is my point - good to get some hooks out there; you might get lucky

17. Oh ok, no disrespect now I know what you were getting at ^^ yeh my credit is shot as well because of not being able to pay off bills that arent even that much.....but no job = no money, tired of bill collector's calling me......I keep telling them to hire me so I can pay them back....lol

18. Lol craigslist.....even the jobs around here that dont look like scams usually end up being scams, been there done that....my father in law keeps telling me to look up work from home on the pc, but i have to explain to him that most of them want u to pay a fee for the "product" working for "google and amazon" and its a scam......50$ down the drain, but if he wants to pay for this pyramid scheme he can, lol

19. This is why i sometimes think a criminal life wouldn't be so bad. Sure theres possible jail time. But that really depends on if you get caught or not. But regardless.

I can't find a job either. It;s cold as balls here and I don't got a car so I'm kind of confined to the internet for applying to places.

What a great time to be 20....