Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Understanding medical marijuana labels

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by rawbar, May 21, 2018.

1. #1 rawbar, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Hi all, I was just approved by the state for medical marijuana but I'm having a bit of a hard time deciphering the labels from the website of the dispensary I'm going to tomorrow.

First off, I'm a complete lightweight. It's been 30+ years since I've touched MJ and I never really liked it because of the paranoia and anxiety it caused me back then. I'm looking for high CBD and low THC. I wouldn't mind a mild buzz but I don't want to be a disaster. I need to be able to function around my wife and kids.

Looking at the products, what I'm trying to figure out is the THC dosage. I read that a standard dose is 10mg (I think that's microgram, not milligram?). For example, looking at Brother Johnathan's Tincture High CBD, it says

TAC 249mg (I get that's total active cannabanoids... a total of the breakdown that follows):
    CBD-A 4.5mg
    CBC 9.9mg
    CBD 200mg
    D9-THC 34.5mg

I guess what's confusing me is are these number per dose? It says one dose is 1ml which contains 10mg of cannabis oil. What does that exactly mean? How much of what active ingredient is in the oil? Is the breakout above per bottle? It's too much for the 1ml dose (or 10mg of oil in the dose). I don't want to consume 34mg of THC, I'm thinking more along the lines of 2 or 3mg (if 10mg is standard for most people).

Any help deciphering this would be appreciated. I've read a whole bunch of websites trying to decipher this and haven't gotten very far.

2. #2 Deleted member 616232, May 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
    ok so the thc is really high in that one.
    You need to go to a dispensary and talk to somene. If you're using a tincture, you need to find out how much is in the dropper.

You could message . PsychedelicSam, He makes tinctures and is very knowledgeable and helpful. If you can't get to a dispensary to ask them your questions, he is your best bet. Look for a thread called Green "Dragon or something like that.

4. message PsychedelicSam, he will be able to answer all your questions. He's very knowledgeable and helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maybe the way it works is the entire bottle is 1 ounce, or about 30ml.
    If there are 30 x 1ml doses, each dose with 10mg of oil, that's about 300mg of oil which is sort of close to the TAC 249mg but not really.......

I can't figure out the math being used here

6. Thanks, I dropped Sam a message.... but if one dose is 10mg of cannabis oil, how could it possibly contain 34.5mg of THC?

If I look at another oil by the same company, Brother Jonathan's Indica tincture, it has 315mg of THC. That;s enough THC to drop an elephant....so this can't be per dose.

7. Or perhaps it's a ratio thing..... 7:1 ratio of CBD:THC (200:~35). If there's 10mg of cannabis oil, maybe it's 7 parts CBD: 1 part THC, or about 1.25mg of THC and 8.75mg CBD.........

8. Here's the product I'm trying to decipher.

Attached Files:

9. Trying to figure out the label can be frustrating if you're not familiar with the market, especially for high-CBD products and a lot of companies take advantage of that confusion and frustration to make some extra bucks. The CBD is going to be hemp extract and that's the number they use on the bottle per ounce, usually. It is milligrams and not micrograms.

The 300mg is the total weight of the extract. Of that 300mg, 249mg is the amount of total cannabinoids per ounce broken down into those components. A dose of 1ml is 10mg of extract and not any particular cannabinoid. That's only 1.15mg of THC per ml and 6.67mg of CBD per ml. You divide each of those numbers by 30 because there are 30ml in the bottle and a dose is 1ml.

I hope this has helped. :)

10. THANK YOU very much. I got pretty close with my #7 post, I appreciate you clarifying exactly what I'm looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hmm... looking at the other tincture products offered at this dispensary, it looks like the one I shared is the only one with CBD. The others are 8.3mg and 10mg THC per dose and no CBD to speak of :(. Don't really want those, so I'll give this one a shot.

12. TAC = Total Active Canabinoids
    The important numbers are
    CBD = 200.7 and
    THC D9 = 34.5
    which is roughly a 6-1 ratio cbd/thc