Uncle Benny's outdoor introduction. Never throw in the towel :)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Uncle Benny, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Buzz - thank you so much for the information, excellent! I went out yesterday and got a Radio Shack battery powered microscope, but It looks like I got a few more weeks to go;).

Carlo - I'm really excited about the Pineapple Express. I got the seed from Attitude as a freebie, and I thought it was just a marketing ploy to take advantage of the movie of the same name. But, I've read some really positive things about the strain and this plant is the biggest plant I have, at well over 7 feet. While I've seen many larger plants pictured on GC, I'm extremely pleased considering that the plant got a late start on the season.

I still one of the PE seeds left over, so next year I'll plant in the same location but earlier in the year and with better sunlight, and that should be really exciting:eek:.

The weather has been perfect here for the past couple days:D

2. When I first got my scope, I took it out to the plantz. It was so hard to get a good look at the trichomes. :rolleyes:

I thought to myself, "well this is dumb, stupid scope" :p... Just clip off a little piece and bring it inside to look at it. :laughing::poke:it works much better that way... :eek::bolt:

3. I actually like the various animals in the woods. I'm assuming it's not your property. I don't know why death had to be the answer.

4. would you have picked up the trap and moved the skunk to a different location? nuff said

also, you like skunks?

5. #65 Uncle Benny, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
    ELIF, I gotta defend your actions. I'm not sure if could I could kill skunks, but there are too many damn skunks and deer around where I live. The problem is their are no predators in the areas to keep the populations in check, except for the occasional car or hunting season. I don't see a problem with someone eliminating a nuisance pest.

6. The plants got another feeding of botanicare liquid karma and bloom. All systems are still go as the plants still good, except for a few signs of slug activity. I'll need to bait for slugs again on my next trip out. The weather has been a bit cooler with temps hitting low 70s in the day and the 50's at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lookin' good Benny :wave: That PE is really filling in nicely. Tempz are more fall like here too. It has me a bit on edge.

8. oh man!
    looking great, hopefully the weather will hold up. its already in the low 40s at night where i am.
    good luck!

9. Buzz, you are too cool.

Temps are continuing to be cool and wet, it's like the perfect weather for mold. A lot of the houses around here including mine have got green mold growing on the siding. I'm getting real nervous.

BTW, I do like the smoke from the second AK-47 auto, the Grassmatic strain. I'm still curing it, but it gets better and better every time I try it.:D I've been curing it in mason jars and it's by far the best of the three plants that I've harvested. Not sure how I would rate it - maybe a solid C+.

I'm thinking next year to do more autos. I just read that Carlo got ripped off, plus all the this worry over the weather.... IDK, just seems easier to do autos. Losing some on the quantity and maybe the quality, but...

Temps at night are hitting the low 50's with an occasional day or two in the 40s.

I doubt that I will be able to harvest the K-Train with any real good results. I would have to get damn lucky to get it the end of October. The PE and Stoned Immaculate just need to make it to around 10/13 and 10/20, that even that is starting to look iffy.

10. #70 Uncle Benny, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
    Ok, this weather is forcing my hand. I'm going out tomorrow to buy some Serenade which has an active ingredient of Bacillus subtilis and a particular strain called QST 713. This is from the EPA website on this strain. It looks very interesting note the target pests;).

" 1. Description of the Active Ingredient

Bacillus subtilis strain QST 713 is a widespread bacterium found in soil, water, and air. Bacillus subtilis strain QST 713 controls the growth of certain harmful bacteria and fungi, presumably by competing for nutrients, growth sites on plants, and by directly colonizing and attaching to fungal pathogens.
    2. Use Sites, Target Pests, and Application Methods
    * Use Sites: B. subtilis strain QST 713 is approved for use on a wide variety of food crops, including cherries, cucurbits, grapes, leafy vegetables, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and walnuts.

* Target Pests: Fungi and bacteria that cause scab, powdery mildew, sour rot, downy mildew, and early leaf spot, early blight, late blight, bacterial spot, and walnut blight diseases.

* Application Methods: B. subtilis strain QST 713 is sold as a powder that is mixed with water and sprayed on foliage using ground equipment. The number and timing of applications vary with crop and level of infestation.

Top of Page
    3. Assessing Risks to Human Health

No harmful health effects to humans are expected from use of B. subtilis strain QST 713. Appropriate tests found no evidence that the bacterium is infectious or significantly toxic to humans. However, contact with B. subtilis strain QST 713 products may cause redness or irritation to the skin. To minimize the risk of adverse reactions in applicators and handlers, EPA is requiring these workers to use appropriate personal protective equipment.
    4. Assessing Risks to the Environment

Available studies show that no adverse effects are expected to non-target organisms, with the possible exception of honey bees, when products containing B. subtilis strain QST 713 are used in accordance with label instructions. However, because of some difficulties associated with interpreting the results of these studies, EPA is requiring additional tests to confirm that use of pesticide products with B. subtilis strain QST 713 will not infect or otherwise harm honey bees, wasps, shrimp and other aquatic invertebrates. Meanwhile, to minimize the risk to honey bees, applicators are not allowed to spray areas where bees are actively foraging. After the results of the additional studies become available, EPA will decide whether this use restriction can be lifted."

And this is from the EU approval:

"The mode of action of B. subtilis is fungistatic and fungitoxic by disruption of hyphae following contact with the fungal pathogen at the leaf surface. Besides antagonism nutrient competition is involved in the mode of action and more importantly B. subtilis induces systemic resistance response of the plant, indicated by enhanced peroxidase production."

11. #71 Uncle Benny, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2011
    Well, I tried calling around for Serenade and could not find any locally. So I ended up getting some Concern, which is a copper based soap fungicide, and I soaked the plants with this stuff. We are expected like 4 or 5 days of rain and cooler temps, and today was a nice dry day to apply the fungicide. So as a stop gap I applied the Concern today before the rain hits. I'm still hoping to get some Serenade before the harvest. Everything still looks good.

Finally, we had a new addition to the house, a little puppy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. So, it looks like the Browns might actually have a decent team this year after a thrilling win against the hapless fish. But then again, there is plenty of the season left for them to disappoint again as they have soooo many times in the past:(.

The girls are looking great, and the weather has been near perfect for the last several days. Just gave the girls another helping of Botanicare nutes, along with a trimming of a few dead or dying leaves. The buds are starting to look evil - idk but toward the end I think good buds have an almost evil look to them...:D

Stoned Immaculate is about 40 days into flowering, (60 days recommended):)
    Pineapple Express is about 32 days into flowering, (56 days recommended):)
    K-Train is about 25 days into flowing, (63 days recommended):(

The last picture is a little bug that was on the stoned immaculate. I thought the bug was very colorful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. NICE PLANTS UNCLE BENNY! i was checkin out your flowering days and recommended flowering days while comparing to your plants and it kinda gave me an idea of where i am. let me know i prolly still got at least 2 weeks but goodluck with everything :)

14. Thanks OG1. Your going to have a hell of haul with your plants:D.

Your about right where I'm at as far as flowering, except for my K-train which was late to flower. I'm planning on mid October harvest, if everything goes as planned.;) But, I'll watch them week to week. Gotta hope for a good October and rest of September.

My average first frost is October 23 and the first risk of frost starts on October 8th so I gotta think the K-train will have to come down early.

15. Wow those leaves look GREEN! You must be treatin 'em well man :D. Those buds don't look too shabby either. It's really cool to see how much your plants have filled out over the past month. I'm excited for you!

16. Thanks Carlo! The plants are starting to stick out, while everything else is turning brown and yellow, yet my girls are nice and green. I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up, as you know a lot of bad things can happen quickly when your outdoor guerrilla growing.

17. I started to feel the same way towards the end of my grow. It seemed like the surrounding vegetation had suffered a lot from the drought, resulting in dry brown grass and thin growth. I felt like my girls were a bit exposed. Regardless, you need to plan for the worst but hope for the best. As soon as your pistils turn brown, I would get those things to safety.

18. Well, we just had like 5 straight days of rain along with much cooler weather. Today there was a break in the weather and I got a chance to see the ladies growing out in the woods. Everything looked terrific, the Pineapple Express is leaning over from the weight of the buds, I've got to bring out bigger stakes before her buds will end up on the ground:eek:. Also no signs of any mold just green. I'm glad I got out to the plants to spray them down with the copper soap before the weather turned nasty.:hello:

I feed them today with some molasses and a real light helping of Botanicare bloom organic nutes. I'm posting one pick of my pineapple express. If you look closely at the plant (arrow pointing) there is the same bug that I removed over a week ago back on the plant. Now I'm wondering what type of bug is this. Is it dangerous to the plants? There is a better picture of the bug in the photos above, and it is pretty blue and red color and its pretty big (about half an inch long) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

19. looks really nice. + rep

20. Thanks Corto, your harvest looks terrific!:wave:

I've got a few more days to go, but the weather forecast for the next 10 days looks perfect, sunny low 70s for a high and dropping to the low 50s at night.