Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Ulcerative Colitis and Other IBD/IBS

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by NLsmoker, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Has anyone had any experience with MMJ and any IBD or IBS? I have ulcerative colitis which has destroyed my life. I'm going to try MJ to help with pain and inflammation of my bowels as well as the regeneration of my colon tissue. Any thoughts?

2. ibs, UC, r.a., lupus...got them all..and mmj does help...sadly i live in a non-mmj state...:(

3. I have Crohn's Disease and MMJ helps so much. I wouldn't be able to eat with a normal schedule without it! I have way less pain and way less inflammation.

4. Thanks guys. My sister is really the only person I'm close to that smokes and she really just shoots down any medical claims for mj. I'm glad to see that it could actually help me. Any strains you guys specifically use?

And I feel you on the non MJ state. I live in Texas and it's non mj. :/

5. Hon, let's get your sister on the right page about medical cannabis! See that first link in my sig? Click it and scroll down to "Crohn's", set sis down in front of the screen and tell her to read! By the time she finishes, she will be convinced!

Granny

6. This is what I posted on another thread. I will also add more to make it as up to date as possible.

I am 18 years old and here is my story. At the age of 17, almost a year ago today, I went to my doctor with horrible stomach pains and diarrhea. The doctor stated that it was probably only a colon infection. After a cycle of antibiotics, I seemed to be problem free.
    Then in August I was experiencing the same problems. My doctor put me on a harder antibiotic. This made me worst. I used the restroom 43 times (yes i counted) in a 24 hour period. I lost 14lbs in 2 days. I would eat the driest foods hoping it would stay solid but nothing would. My doctor was deeply worried for me. He then recommended i go to a GI.

The GI told be about the Colonoscopy and how he will be unable to diagnose me until I have one done. He told me a list of possible problems I could have. I was terified. Here i am, 18, drinking the nastiest drink i ever had, thinking how people state how amazing 18 is. Here i am just turning 18 and stuck on a toilet all day with only Hulu and other websites to keep me from losing all contact with the outside world. The day of the procedure finally came. Well for those who have gotten a Colonoscopy they know what happened. I woke up, gassy as hell. Not knowing what the fuck just happened to me. Being fed apple juice. The doctor came in with picture of my insides and showed me what he saw.

He said he believed I had UC. From the damage already done to the colon, it was a problem that has present for sometime. He then sent me home and started me on some drug i can not remember the name of. It doesn't really matter seeing 3 days later, i woke up with my eyes swollen shut and my throat felt closed. I was rushed to the ER and given prednisone and Benadryl to combat the reaction. While on the prednisone this is the only time my bowel movements we under control.

After the lack of care from this GI i switched to another. He was great. He put my on prednisone for a 2 month period and also put me on Assicol. The prednisone was suppose to carry me over until the assicol could take full effect. Well due to the steriod, I developed depression and thoughts of suicide and helplessness. After some dosage tweakage, i was my happy self again. When i was done with prednisone, the assicol still had not taken over. During this time i experienced similar problems to the original symptoms. Once the Assicol took effect, life was back to normal for me.

So to all you UC/ Chrones Patients. Good luck! I will update my hurdles and experiences on here as my life goes on. Until then. If it grows in the ground, Pass it around!

UPDATE:
    I have been using cannabis to combate my ulcerative colitis for over a year now. I have only experienced one flare up and it is because I took Advil (STAY AWAY UC PATIENTS). Other than that I have been problem and more important pain free. It really changed my families view on the drug as well. I honestly can say, marijuana saved my life in more than one way. It also helped with the depression which was caused by UC. Dont let this disease get control of your life.

7. Also good luck with combating your disease. Stand strong! I it can be a pain and hard sometimes but remember it can't rain forever.

8. In a couple weeks, I go for an endo, then 1 week later, colonoscopy.
    I'm trying to be brave, but this is scary stuff!
    Thank God for my sweet leaf. I wish I could smoke it there!
    I'm glad you're better! I'll use you as my role model!

9. Dont be scared, those are simple procedures. Ive done two colonoscopy's and one endoscopy. I know for the colonoscopy i was put fully under so it was really lax.

However, if you are still scared, remember that it is help you get better and understand whats going on "in there".

As for the topic at hand, i have UC and Ive used marijuana in the past and found positive effects. Unfortunately, not that well documented. Right now i am self medicating. Next appointment, im going to talk to my GI doc about it and see what he thinks and if he will recommend me.

As said earlier, dont let this disease take over your life. There are options. Ive had similar problems with the prednisone with depression. There were times when i was afraid i would never be able to function normally or run out of options to control the flares. It was very bad times and i never want to be in that situation again.

Godspeed, friend.

10. Don't worry about it. Its hyped up to be worse than it is. Ive done both fully awake and unmedicated. The embarrassment is the worse part but even that is very little. Just remember they are doctors and they do it for a living. There is no reason to stress. Stress, for me, makes my symptoms worse.

11. I got UC and a GI doc that doesn't want me to take anything over the counter. Just his drugs and no word about diet.
    MMJ needs to be for everybody who needs! just legalize the thing already for everybody.

12. Thanks guys-I appreciate it!

13. I also have Stomach/bowel issues. IBS and possibly UC. Got tests comming up. Biggest thing that has helped me was going gluten free or mostly so ( I'm not gluten intollerant ). Huge decrease in Symptoms. I still have bouts but no where near as bad.

Old Dude In Pain

14. my sister has ibs and it is semi controlled now but she sometimes suffers debilitating pain and it hurts me to see her in this pain when i know mary jane could help. she has smoked before a about once or twice a year and knows i smoke just doesnt agree with it untill i move out. how could i offerit to her? with the medikcal information pleasee

15. Ah Florida is really strict on marijuana. Right now I would rather wait until I move from where I'm currently living to smoke myself.

16. #17 pichipipe, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Bro your story is just like mine. I was 17 wen I was diagnosed with ulcerative and it was my senior year. I couldn't do anything, go to grad bash, graduation parties or prom because I was stuck on the toilet. I have been to the hospital twice due to anemia both for at least 2 weeks each. This disease sucks. I'm always depressed. Except when Im smokin. Too bad I'm in Florida where i can't get mmj.

17. I have UC and stopped taking my meds at age 17 and only smoked weed after that. Works great, don't know what i'd do without it...it's the only thing that has ever worked completely for me

Luckily I live in an MMJ state

18. I also have IBS and at times it gets bad and keeps me stuck home (I have other medical stuff too -on lots of drugs some of which I'll have to keep) I mostly started smoking for the other stuff Fibromyalgia and arthritis... I am also not in a mmj state so whats available varies a lot. Trying now to do this in a more structured way and I think it may need that for the IBS. So those of you who do have it perscribe - how do they help you figure out dosages and are edibles better for the GI isues? I also had a stroke 5 months aop so trying to get totally away from smoking as much as possible. What do some of you think of the MFLB? but I often like to use very low levels and not really feel high if that makes sence.

19. #20 SimplyBud, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011

Woah. For some reason some of the original post didn't copy over. Didn't notice until now. Here is what is after my assacol treatment. Ill edit it to clarify as well.

Until about January. Early on in my research of treatments and precautions i could take for UC I stumbled across the Cannabis ability to relieve a lot of symptoms. I disregarded it. I thought it was another stupid attempt for people to push "the miracle plant" on others. I then came across this thread. I read the many accounts of peoples experiences with the plant and how it helped. I also read the studies that granny provided in here list. I was amazed. The plant I did not want to get involved with, is the one drug i should get involved with. In April, i finally decided, this flare up sucks. I need to try something to get rid of it. So i lit up. Let me tell you. It was like instant relief of pain. My appetite returned. I was able to go a day without having to run to the bathroom. My spasms went away. I was amazed. Now I use this to help with my pain that i have to go through with UC. I went to the doctors for a check up. Got another Colonoscopy. They said they were amazed how good it looked. For experiencing a flare up from March- April. My colon looked pretty healthy. Idk if it was the plant itself or just the fact my mental health was better which benefited my body. Or maybe the Assicol kicked back in. IDK. All i can say is, breaking a law, is worth living the life i deserve to live, one filled with normal shit (no pun intended ) The only reason i created an account was for this thread. I have never really told anyone my story before, besides the ones i love. But i feel my story could help or inspire others to strive, and know that one day, we may all live the life we deserve.