UK- Health bodies call for drugs to be decriminalised

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Wilflet, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Kind of being buried in the news underneath football and football violence

Health bodies call for drugs to be decriminalised - BBC News

So we have this report from Royal Society for Public Health and the Faculty of Public Health,
    "Baroness Molly Meacher, speaking on behalf of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Drug Policy Reform, welcomed the report.".

Im sure as long as we have a Conservative government this can just add to the long list of reports from people who actually know what they are talking about that they'll throw out because it dosnt support what they want to believe.

Obviously this also covers drugs that are out of the remit of this forum, for which I think decriminalisation with focus on treatment has to be the way.
    For weed I wouldnt be happy with this as an end result- the implication that its still wrong we just wont send you to prison for it (and im guessing grows will still be harshly treated), but its certainly a step towards a place where we can stop wasting all my tax money and criminalising us and have an open debate without fear of repercusions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I agree. It should be a health and wellness issue. I live in the states, and in my state in particular we have no right to use cannabis. I don't know that legalizing all drugs is the answer. It seems quite the opposite. Locking people up for that stuff is wrong.

If they legalized all drugs tomorrow, would you go out and do heroin? Or Coke, or anything? Most people would not go out and do something just because it's legal. People know the difference. At the very least cannabis should be legal, but it's still not. Very strange times we're living in, my friend.

3. I agree. But only legalizing all drugs wouldn't solve anything. If it's legalized the money we saved should be used to fund awareness programs and research about how to treat addicts.

4. This move wouldn't say it's OK to use any drugs - it would just stop spending money enforcing it and move it to treatment. Which for hard drugs is what's needed, currently you take a junkie and put him in prison for a few years and at the end you've got a junkie who's learned a lot about burglary techniques, learned to be hard enough to survive prison and probably made some connections, prison helps no one here.

• Like Like x 1