UK based Subcool style "super soil" recipe

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Elfeen, Mar 21, 2018.

1. #1 Elfeen, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Okay so I've been looking into making my own cannabis "super soil" and I ran into issues really quick trying to find the ingredients for even the basic subcool recipe. I've basically swapped some stuff out and have some questions about the amounts of amendments I'm supposed to using but I'd rather that if there was something obviously wrong with the recipe or even better things I could be using. I've only been researching super soil a couple of days and basically am completely open to suggestions. This is my potential recipe so far.

1 large bag biomix all-mix amended with 10% coco coir, oyster shell flour (how much?) and kelp meal (how much?)
    5lbs of organic worm castings
    10 ounces Fish Bone Meal 3-18-0
    5 ounces Bat guano 1-10-1
    10 ounces Blood meal 12-0-0
    6 ounces rock dust (don't know if this is an appropriate sub)
    1.5 tablespoons Epsom Salts
    1 tablespoon dolomite
    1 tablespoon azomite
    3/4 teaspoon powdered humic acid

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine is a lot more simple.

1 Cubic foot promix
    1/2 CF perlite
    2 cups chicken manure
    1 cup alfalfa
    2 tablespoons sulfur ( high PH water fix )
    Handful of live worms.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  3. Do you feed teas and the like or are you just on straight water with your recipe?

4. Straight city hose water.
    Runs 8.5 PH so I run sulfur and no lime to keep the PH push from the water from driving my soil to the alkaline side.
    The chicken manure provides most of the right now needs and the Alfalfa pellets take care of the long term stuff.
    I started with a list much like yours but a few years of it and I've stripped away much of the unneeded crap that's mostly stoner hype.
    BNW

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. V/ v/ interesting. I'm sure a lot of it is stoner hype but at this point I'm more looking to guarantee the harvest than fuck around with the recipe as I have plenty of years left to do that but only a few jars of bud at any given time. Do you think the recipe I detailed would work because I have no issues with mixing it up for a few grows, especially as it's organic and theoretically saves me work down the line. Thanks for the help btw

• Like Like x 1
  6. When I have enough growing space & experience you can bet your ass I'm jumping on no till but practically it'll be super soil 'til then

7. What exactly do you feel is less practical about no till?

Also feel free to pm me about sourcing UK amendments if you have any trouble

8. In terms of I'd like to do this grow in 5 gallon pots and have read that no-till is better being done in pots around twice the size? Feel free to correct me. On top of that it'll be my first time mixing soil, messing with the soil ecosystem, feeding bennies etc and the idea of a foolproof way to get my head around amending, top-feeding, compost teas for a grow or two appeals to me. Also I will message you if I have trouble, cheers bud.

9. You can run the no till recipe in 5 gals and have good crops. At the end of the cycle just lightly re-amend it and add some more compost or VMC. Then when you want to scale up in size, you already have the right ingredients, and experience using them. The kelp and neem in the recipe you would probably want for teas anyway, so keep it all simple.
    my $0.02
    cheers
    os

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. God you guys are persuasive. Okay grow after next I'll run no-till. If you guys are half as good at dispensing advice as you are convincing I think I'll be onto a winner anyway lol

• Like Like x 3
  11. I'm looking at going organic myself. I'll run with what I have until I run out but I hope you get it going.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The first time I grew I amended my soil with a few simple things; kelp, coffee, chicken manure compost, and a little crushed charcoal from the good old wood stove.

It was kelp from the beach and manure left in the coop for years.

It was likely the easiest and healthiest grow i had. Then I seemed to make things more complex and shit went down hill.
    Now I'm starting over this year with what I have learned.

(I still make things too complex; but I read into all the details)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I got my stuff from a uk based organic soil supplier, just search indoor organics, they have most amendments and are really helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Informative Informative x 1