UK Activism

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by spunge, May 11, 2009.

1. Had a quick search but couldn't find a thread since my search-fu is mere yellowbelt.

Is there actually any decently organised uk activist groups? Like a UK NORML equivilant? The only things I've seen don't look very organised ect. And it's a shame because we're like the equivilant of one state in america in size so we could force this issue hard. Britains supposed to be progressive and all that lol

2. we're the size of oregon with a population of california and texas combined.

to be honest, we're nowhere near legalising it, nor even contemplating it medically. but, the general public is a lot less anti-cannabis, and really doesnt seem to mind people using it. also the laws on it arent exactly harshly enforced, you'd be hard pressed to be taken down the station for having a small amount on you, or even having a couple plants.

the government is trying to be all reefer madness and stupidly anti-pot with the whole 'super skunk' bullshit and the psychosic malarky. but they dont seem to be turning much people off it. the moving of cannabis to a class b drug AGAINST the advice of the drug advisory council i think just showed how ignorant and pigheaded the people in charge are about the subject.

from first hand experience in most pubs that younger people go to, its not uncommon for a few people to be smoking in the pub garden, and the police rarely if ever prosecute.

so for what we lack in activism, we make up for in the lack of prosecution for people that use it.

3. UK's best chance is for the US to legalized and maybe the UK will follow through

4. +1 Sir, and GO MAN U in Roma :hello:

5. I've looked on google and I couldn't find anything about UK activism. It's weird that you guys don't have anything like NORML or MPP.

Britain has some of the best music and the real football, so how's the weed over there? lol.

6. Im from Scotland and i want it legalized so bad, like alot of people on GC,
    I think the UK need to something BIG to get it legalized.

7. There certainly isn't anything in the UK that resembles the USA's legalisation movement, but when there's no group to ask for instruction, we must ask ourselves.

There's an entire world of options out there for the individual that wants to try and make an impact, unfortunately, few people seem to be willing to go ahead with a plan, if they think they might be the only one, but the ball has to start rolling somewhere.

There's a lot of sentiment amongst intelligent media (ie. not the Daily Mail) that the government has really ballsed up drug policy; at least in relation to cannabis. Even where the sentiment is against marijuana, by raising the issue, the opposition invites debate, so take it to them!

Write letters, send emails, find out who's who, and contact the right people for it. From journalists through to politicians; they'll only care if they're made to, this often translates to them benefiting from an issue in some way.

Controversial stories sell papers, and sensible policy gets votes. While an MP might not take the argument "It's harmless, we want to enjoy it without threat from the people that are supposed to be protecting us", they might take more kindly to a suggestion that it could provide a serious amount of revenue to the government - a tantalising prospect in a collapsed economy.

One person doing this isn't going to help much in the long term though, so speak out, and gain support, whether it's from friends, family, or perfect strangers. We're in this together.

So in short, don't think about the larger movement yet, but focus on what you yourself can do to get closer to that movement occurring.

Get support, show Labour, the Tories, Lib Dems and everyone else that stoners aren't stupid, and most importantly, NEVER talk to Frank :)

8. There is the Legalise Cannabis Alliance UK if anybody has heard of that...

Welcome to the Legalise Cannabis Alliance UK Website! | The Legalise Cannabis Alliance UK

Anyway, Jacqui Smith is the one behind all the crap coming out at the moment, I would love somebody that is actually educated on marijuana to have a debate with her on tv and expose her for the unedcated turd that she is! She would get ripped to shreds and would sound oh so silly using generic terms and using crutch off the 'the cannabis is now stronger than it used to be and people now 'binge smoke''

Shut the FUCK up Jacqui.

9. Dear Uk, i believe that USA is going to be first to legalize and, once it has, it will become a leader and role modell for other countries that are struggling with the decision.

10. YAY!!! Someone else from Scotland!:hello:

But yeah something big needs to be done. I'm thinking of making a website & hopefully get enough members to plan something. It will take some time but I will try. :smoking:

11. word man, violence goes against everything i stand for, but if i saw that disgrace of a human walking down the street, id slam a flying knee straight into her mouth and knock her teeth out.

i DESPISE HER! the lying COW. well thank fuck shes fucked off out of the gov cause of this expense scandal, at least thats what i heard.

12. The Greens support decriminalisation for personal possession of all drugs, although the Lib Dems do admitedly have a better chance of winning a General election but even that's unlikely with the First-Past-The-Post system :rolleyes: I don't know what the Conservatives drug or cannabis policy is, but I can't imagine they would want to go down on it too hard considering Boris Johnson and David Cameron both admitted smoking pot in their youth :smoke:

13. Peter Lilley who is the former deputy leader of the tories wanted to legalise, but this was a LONG time about like 2001 or something.

14. cameron wants it to stay class B

im trying to get all people my age to vote lib dem, for some reason they all want ukip though.

15. so your mates are a bunch of racists?

just kidding mate :p

16. init, i was under the impression that ukip is slightly not as racist as the bnp, but theres so many polish/portugese/lithuanian/latvian in my town, its like half english now so everyones like 'stop immigrants coming and taking all the jobs' which is fair enough.

still though, people dont even seem to realise theres a lib dem party.

17. UKIP's main point is withdrawal from the EU and focusing trade links with the Commonwealth and the USA. However, they do support a suspension of mass immigration for 5 years to supposedly remove all illegal immigrants and then when that is up they want a points-based entrance system like Australia.