U.S. Army fudged its accounts by trillions of dollars, auditor finds

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AugustWest, Aug 22, 2016.

1. My goodness gracious..
    Only answer to this problem is to just keep voting for the same people over and over to run our country.
    That should fix it eventually.

U.S. Army fudged its accounts by trillions of dollars, auditor finds

The United States Army’s finances are so jumbled it had to make trillions of dollars of improper accounting adjustments to create an illusion that its books are balanced.

The Defense Department’s Inspector General, in a June report, said the Army made $2.8 trillion in wrongful adjustments to accounting entries in one quarter alone in 2015, and $6.5 trillion for the year. Yet the Army lacked receipts and invoices to support those numbers or simply made them up.

As a result, the Army’s financial statements for 2015 were “materially misstated,” the report concluded. The “forced” adjustments rendered the statements useless because “DoD and Army managers could not rely on the data in their accounting systems when making management and resource decisions.”

Disclosure of the Army’s manipulation of numbers is the latest example of the severe accounting problems plaguing the Defense Department for decades.

The report affirms a 2013 Reuters series revealing how the Defense Department falsified accounting on a large scale as it scrambled to close its books. As a result, there has been no way to know how the Defense Department – far and away the biggest chunk of Congress’ annual budget – spends the public’s money.

The new report focused on the Army’s General Fund, the bigger of its two main accounts, with assets of $282.6 billion in 2015. The Army lost or didn’t keep required data, and much of the data it had was inaccurate, the IG said.

“Where is the money going? Nobody knows,” said Franklin Spinney, a retired military analyst for the Pentagon and critic of Defense Department planning.

The significance of the accounting problem goes beyond mere concern for balancing books, Spinney said. Both presidential candidates have called for increasing defense spending amid current global tension.

An accurate accounting could reveal deeper problems in how the Defense Department spends its money. Its 2016 budget is $573 billion, more than half of the annual budget appropriated by Congress.

The Army account’s errors will likely carry consequences for the entire Defense Department.

Congress set a September 30, 2017 deadline for the department to be prepared to undergo an audit. The Army accounting problems raise doubts about whether it can meet the deadline – a black mark for Defense, as every other federal agency undergoes an audit annually.

For years, the Inspector General – the Defense Department’s official auditor – has inserted a disclaimer on all military annual reports. The accounting is so unreliable that “the basic financial statements may have undetected misstatements that are both material and pervasive.”

In an e-mailed statement, a spokesman said the Army “remains committed to asserting audit readiness” by the deadline and is taking steps to root out the problems.

The spokesman downplayed the significance of the improper changes, which he said net out to $62.4 billion. “Though there is a high number of adjustments, we believe the financial statement information is more accurate than implied in this report,” he said.

"THE GRAND PLUG"

Jack Armstrong, a former Defense Inspector General official in charge of auditing the Army General Fund, said the same type of unjustified changes to Army financial statements already were being made when he retired in 2010.

The Army issues two types of reports – a budget report and a financial one. The budget one was completed first. Armstrong said he believes fudged numbers were inserted into the financial report to make the numbers match.

“They don’t know what the heck the balances should be,” Armstrong said.

Some employees of the Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS), which handles a wide range of Defense Department accounting services, referred sardonically to preparation of the Army’s year-end statements as “the grand plug,” Armstrong said. “Plug” is accounting jargon for inserting made-up numbers.

At first glance adjustments totaling trillions may seem impossible. The amounts dwarf the Defense Department’s entire budget. Making changes to one account also require making changes to multiple levels of sub-accounts, however. That created a domino effect where, essentially, falsifications kept falling down the line. In many instances this daisy-chain was repeated multiple times for the same accounting item.

The IG report also blamed DFAS, saying it too made unjustified changes to numbers. For example, two DFAS computer systems showed different values of supplies for missiles and ammunition, the report noted – but rather than solving the disparity, DFAS personnel inserted a false “correction” to make the numbers match.

DFAS also could not make accurate year-end Army financial statements because more than 16,000 financial data files had vanished from its computer system. Faulty computer programming and employees’ inability to detect the flaw were at fault, the IG said.

DFAS is studying the report “and has no comment at this time,” a spokesman said.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I refuse to believe that corruption is rife in the US defence department.

It must be a faulty calculator.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Obama lights his blunts with $100 notes , and he smokes all day everyday , smoking many blunts at once. That is where the money is going

• Like Like x 3
  4. That , and to Area 420 of course where they constantly exceed new found qualities of weed they have created and exist only to please Obama with the dankest of the dank

• Like Like x 3
  5. So you're saying those toilet seats aren't actually worth 100$?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rough Translation: We do whatever the fuck we want. We each want an island with a golf course, and that money has to come from somewhere, so we went ahead and gave ourselves a raise because were such hard workers serving the nation. Whats that? You have no food or jobs or even clean drinking water, well times are tough. I mean sure were all making record profits bankrupting you but hey youre so caught up in irrelevant nonsense that this doesnt even bother you.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Double post.

8. Unfortunately, this isn't a new problem. We gave the green light to these kinds of shenanigans when we let our congressmen vote to allow an perpetual war where the corporations profit. Those same allotments that were fudged were most definitely payments made to defense contractors, the people paid by the military to supply and train them.

This isn't new. My unit of 30 people or so had to use a 100k surplus late into our 15 month deployment.. it was spent on useless supplies for the next unit (us) and vehicles from the local civilian contractor (kbr, aka Halliburton). We spent over 140k in a months time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. We actually brought more shit home than we brought over. Connexes full of useless gear we just lugged around. We had printers, batteries, satellites. The absolute worst use of amenities I have ever seen, and clearly a blatant, systemic abuse of taxpayer money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. yup..

that's what they call bipartisan politics.
    The one thing the establishment D's and R's all agree on is wasting taxpayer money and hooking up their contractor and lobbyist buddies.
    meanwhile we all argue over abortion and transsexual bathrooms.

• Like Like x 5
  11. not only do they do whatever the fuck they want, but they can lose trillions of dollars and not even give a shit whether it gets out in the press, because they know they'll get away with it.
    like that's it. It's missing.. and nothing will become of it. Nothing to see here.

("they" meaning whoever the fuck is responsible for this nonsense)

• Like Like x 1
  12. How is that possible though? How do you fake not owing money? Do those companies just not want their money? If what is being stated is actually what is happening then won't that eventually be the end of the U.S. military if not addressed? Obviously if you can't pay the members most will not report.

13. LMAO he'd have to smoke 178,082,191 blunts a day in 2015, lighting them each with a 100$, to get to 6.5 trillion. Dank lord Obama for sure

• Like Like x 2
  14. How else do you expect the military industrial complex to continue?

• Like Like x 2
  15. He has a drug problem.

• Like Like x 3
  16. #16 Rotties4Ever, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    I once had an abortion in a transsexual bathroom; worst time of my life. 4/10. Wouldn't recommend.

The math checks out.

• Like Like x 3
  17. I was in a pub in town yesterday when two yanks walked in with that bewildered tourist look about them.

Had a drink with them and I must say I was very tempted, $200 million is not to be sneezed at but the woman had a very irritating whiney voice. It wouldn't have worked out.

• Like Like x 1