TX: Wendy Davis supports medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Feb 12, 2014.

1. \tWendy Davis supports medical marijuana 

(CNN) â€“ Texas Democratic gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis said she supports medical marijuana use as well easing the state's legal consequences for possessing small amounts of the drug.
    \nDavis' comments echo those of current Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who said he supports less stringent penalties in Texas for marijuana use.
    \nPerry made the comments at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, last month, highlighting his work toward decriminalization.
    \nDavis, a state senator, said Perry's approach is "reasonable," according to an interview with the Dallas Morning News that was published Tuesday.
    \n"I do believe that Governor Perry's approach is a reasonable approach, that we as a state need to think about the cost of that incarceration and, obviously, the cost to the taxpayers as a consequence of it, and whether we're really solving any problem for the state by virtue of incarcerations for small amounts of marijuana possession," she said.
    \nTexas law classifies marijuana possession, even small amounts, as a class B misdemeanor, punishable by fines and jail time.
    \nAsked her position on medical marijuana use, Davis said she personally supports it but, ultimately, as governor she'd have to take the temperature of the state on the issue.
    \n"With regard to medical marijuana. I personally believe that medical marijuana should be allowed for. I don't know where the state is on that, as a population," she said.
    \n"Certainly as governor, I think it's important to be deferential to whether the state of Texas feels that it's ready for that," she said, adding that it's worth watching other states experimenting with decriminalization.
    \n
    Lets give politicians something to thunk about,, "Like" Wendy's page and have everyone you know do it too. 

https://www.facebook.com/wendydavistexas