Two Light Set-Ups, Help Pick Best One!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by shaundelamar, Feb 20, 2009.

1. #1 shaundelamar, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    I have never grow before, but I have been doing some reasearch and I am deciding to grow and I have two choices of light set-ups that I was thinking about and I was wondering if ya'll could tell me which set-ups better, of if there is a better light set-up, please list it, thanks!

By the way, I will be growing in a grow box that is around 3 x 3 x 4!

Will able be growing 2 plants!

These will be auto flowering seeds, that take around 2 months from start to finish.

I will be using FoxFarm Ocean Forest Soil and for nutes/fert. I will be using Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, Beastie Bloomz, Cha Ching, and finally Open Sesame.

I will be using 2, 5 gallon buckets and will be germinating these seeds first and probably going to transplant in the first 2 weeks, to the 5 gallon buckets.

ANYWAYS, THE 2 LIGHT SET-UPS!!!

1. -

1 x 600 watt MH Bulb ( Vegatative Stage)
    1 x 600 watt HPS Bulb (Flowering Stage)
    1 x 600 watt, 120v, Switchable MH/HPS Digital Ballast
    1 x SuperSun2 - Sun System with the 6 inch vent holes.

2. -

Whole bunch of cfl lights that are real close to the plant.

ALSO, SINCE I'M USING AUTO FLOWERING SEED, WILL THE PLANT STILL SMELL LIKE WEED EVEN IF IT ONLY GROWS TO 2 FEET TALL AND WILL IT BE NOTICABLE, BECAUSE I DON'T WANT NOBODY IN MY HOUSE TO FIND OUT ABOUT IT, LOL. PLEASE ANSWER THIS, WITH HONESTYYYY

2. Anybody???

3. 600w for 2 AF plants, i have this right? ... it'll work fine....

4. Ye, just 1 x 600 watt bulb for each veg. and flow. stage for 2 plants.

5. First off, I wouldnt use 5gl buckets, waste of space & dirt, I would run out of dirt & nutes in a week, when you start paying for that FF soil & nutes, you will know what I'm talking about, I use regular medium to large size pots & grow very large plants with no problems, when I cut'em down I can see where the roots are just fine, running around the bottom, but not choked or tangled.

The FF products are good, I use them all from the dirt to the nutes, be carefull of the Tiger Bloom & only use the Grow Big for vegetation.

On the lights, I actully started with CFL's, & it was easy & kinda fun...I cant recall how many plants I flowered with them or how many I used, but I do recall me being surprised as shit, but as my operation grew, I needed much more light, so I went with 400whps for mothers & clones, & 1000whps for the flower chamber.
    If I had to make a choice for you, I guess I would go with this - 1 x SuperSun2 - Sun System with the 6 inch vent holes. With that one you can hook-up some duct & an exhaust fan to keep that thing real cool & get it right down on the plan canopy.

I'm not sure about the auto flower, all weed is gonna smell some, some more pungent than others, they mostly smell when you bump into them, you can hook-up an intake fan on one side of the box an a exhaust on the other with some carbon filter material on the exhaust side, should be fine for only a couple plants.

Just saying...

good luck

6. Thanks bro...

7. I couldn't read much of the replies, its early and I am tired. 5 gallon as I think another stated is to much medium. TWO MONTHS ? Where are you getting this number, I have never seen anything start to finish in two months. As for the lights you could downgrade to a 400 and still have MORE than enough lighting. NUTES - FOLLOW the SCHEDULE the professionals have tried, tested, and proved to be successful. By that I mean you will need to use BIG BLOOM in VEG and almost throughout the entire process. There is no point of buying the tri-pack and just making it up as you go, follow the schedule.

8. he means he is using an auto strain. 2 months it is.

9. I know what an auto is, I however have never grown any. Seriously two months start to finish ?

10. #10 CFLweasel, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    Yeah it's true. Strains like lowryder etc tend to finish from seed in about 8 weeks. Idunno much about lights for an autoflower though. I know it flowers itself based on time and not photoperiod- does that mean there is no 18/6? Or will the OP need to to do 18/6 in veg AND flower? I'd recommend the OP read the lighting thread in my signature. 400 watts of HID for a 2 dwarf strain plant sounds like a lot of extra light. All those extra watts are netter spent on ventillation, imho. I'd recommend a 250w hps or CFL. Still 9 square feet for one plant is alot of extra space. Maybe install a faux wall or partition of some sort into the grow space to get the area down and increase lumens/sq foot. With a 9 sq foot area, to get a 3,000 lumen per square foot intensity level, 27,000 lumens will be required. I say use 250w hps- it's close to the right ammount of light and I hear they're pretty easy to keep cool. If you go with CFL, you'll need to make your growspace smaller- it'll take over 400w of CFl to match the 250w hps...

CHEERS!

11. Eight weeks that crazy :) your thread is great next time I see it I will rep you. Posting from the mobile now.

12. Thanx man. Link to it anytime you want... I think it has sticky potential but I just try to keep adding more useful information here and there...