Twisted/mangled growth in coco?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by GSCman, Feb 4, 2017.

1. IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3053.JPG IMG_3055.JPG IMG_3056.JPG Hello all,

I am in need of some expertise!!! I am growing in coco coir...here's a little breakdown..
    10gal pots
    Week 4 of veg
    Pure blend pro grow, liquid karma, cal-mag, silica blast
    30 plants, 12 600 watt bulbs
    Temp 78
    Humidity 60
    Co2 ppm 400
    Air circulation is great
    24 hour light cycle...(just switched to 18 and 6 a couple days ago to see if it'd help)

All of the stems were a nice green, now PURPLE. New growth is growing weird, slow growth, twisted/mangled leaves mainly on new growth but slowly going down to the plants...
    What I've done so far..
    Sprayed down with bills fertilizer, flushed the plants 3x.
    Gave it nutrients recently and I am still seeing this problem worsen...I've been told I've been "overwatering" but it's in coco? I used to water everyday with no problems, so I laid off til every 2-3 days, no change. Then I waited until coco would dry...still no change.

2. Had a similar problem in soil which had some salt build up and stuff going on there. flushed it twice and now the new growth is totally fine. (not sure about your case though, just my own experience with SOIL)

3. Thanks for the reply!!! Yeah mate I've tried flushing them real nice 3x and still experiencing this...I'd love to get more traffic on this thread to hear more peoples opinions

• Like Like x 1
  4. What ppm is your feed solution? I'm unfamiliar with your choice of nutes however I've seen low N and PH imbalance cause that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have found that improper pH causes this problem. Feed at least once a day to run off with a pH 5.8 to 6.0. Remember that coco is hydro. Never let coco dry out or you will get salt build up. I feed twice a day and never have a problem.

6. The twisting leaves look like heat stress to me. Do you have good strong air movement constantly going around the level of the your plants to disperse heat? I think you've got your lights way overloaded with plants (just an opinion). A 600 watt lamp is usually good for max 2 plants when it comes to flowering them off. Raising lights to cover more plants just robs light quality from the whole bunch. Just starting out, it would've been smart to have only worked with a couple of plants...or even one, until you got a better understanding of what's going on. Purple stems on a plant is nothing to get up in the air about in the least...unless you're inexperienced, and then everything is something to get upset and worried about because you have no base to draw from. Attempting to start out with 30 plants is kinda crazy....simply because of the work required to tend them. If it were me and I wanted to attempt to grow many plants at once, the first thing I would do is toss that Coco out the back door and get me some really good quality formulated grow soil. It is the easiest thing to grow in and it will feed the plants for you for weeks on end without the addition of extra chemicals. I don't use extra nutes at all anymore and just repot my plants when they expend the soil of nutrition. Nutes don't grow plants....light does that. Each individual plant needs the best wattage and quality of light during flower along with plenty of space so the light can penetrate the canopy of the plants. Otherwise, you just shade out any development below the canopy because everything is so crowded up. You can always harvest more from a single plant that is tended properly and gets all the good quality high wattage light it needs during the flower cycle, than you can harvest flowering 3 in the same spot. These lights can only cover so much sq. footage realistically and more plants does not mean you will get more weight at harvest unless you have the light to support them and force them to come on out and really grow for you. Good soil, good light and understanding how to water your plants is about all you have to know with a good quality soil grow. The Coco stuff isn't the easiest media to grow in. TWW