Turning Shatter into Vape Juice

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by JXAllen, Mar 6, 2019.

1. So, a friend of mine got an oz of shatter and wants to turn it into vapable e-liquid for ccell style carts. What is the most cost effective way to do this? I've seen several commercial liquidizers that use a combination of PG and PEG. Does anyone have a good formula to reproduce stable results?

2. There are many vids online that go into details that you probably would not be able to get from a text medium. Good luck!

3. I've found tons of videos......all using the commercial liquidizer. I'm looking for inexpensive+bulk, not a tank at a time. If you've got links to videos like that, please share.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for stopping by. I've seen several commercial products. But I'm really looking for the basics here. 90-99% of the liquid in commercial liquidizers is PG and PEG, both are super cheap in bulk. I used to make my own e-juice when I used to vape regularly using PG, VG, liquid nicotine and flavorings. I went from spending $100+ a month in juice to that $100 lasting 6months or more. So I know how much more cheaply the same quality product can be had if made at home with the proper ingredients. What I need is a recipe. :vaping:

5. Is this what you are looking for?

This is the last recipe I made.I followed the normal cooking infusion method.

I put a drop of it on my AVB in my desktop vaporizer.

112 gr bud,(4 oz's)

896 ml VG/PG 70/30

16 tsp Lecithin (5 TBSP + 1 tsp)

• Like Like x 1

6. Thanks, I have been thinking about trying a pg/vg/flower tincture for vaping myself. But the recipe I'm looking for now is one to liquidize an ounce of shatter.

7. Gotcha,

I was considering doing the same but I have too many choices already and need to use up my olive oil infusion,MCT infusion,and the vg/pg infusion,not to mention the 5 different strains of bud and an oz of kief.
    The shatter method is on my radar though for later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I'm not sure the bubble hash will work good, I think I read that on one of the sites, it has more "plant matter" that won't dissolve.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #12 JXAllen, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Well, The two biggest things I've learned thus far are:
    First, I need to find out if it has been Winterized. If it hasn't it could cause the liquid to get cloudy and clog the carts. This is due to lipids and plant proteins remaining in the concentrate.
    Second, it should be decarbed. This serves two purposes. To increase the potency and to prevent it from re-crystallizing in the carts.

I think from what I've read I can use pure PG in a 2ml - 1gr shatter. I don't know if the addition of PEG 400 or 600 in any particular ratio helps stabilize the solution to any real degree. If not using a PG/PEG formula the next best, though expensive, looks like bulk unflavored terps. I've also seen mention that MCT oil can be used but found almost zero info in this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for this info. I'd really like to not use PG at all but it looks like you have to go through a dewaxing process to make the oil stay a liquid consistency that you can vape. Would also make the potency a lot more consistent

11. Can you winterize with PG? I thought you needed to use alcohol?

12. #16 norml56, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    I'm not 100% sure what the term winterizing means for this process. Assuming it has to do with the oil staying liquid. I know a few companies here in Oregon sell their carts totally PG/PEG/VG free which is what I would like to be able to do. Using PG/VG as long as sourced from a good place doesn't really bother me it has been proven to be safe to vape but I would still like to have a pure oil.

13. Winterizing is how you remove the lipids from the concentrate. You disolve your extract into ethanol, freeze for 48 hours and then filter. Then you evaporate off the ethanol. It isn't 100% nesecary for BHO because it doesn't strip as much of the lipids from the plant. It's much more important in CO2 extractions, because the CO2 strips EVERYTHING. That's why it looks like machine grease before it's been winterized.

14. Also....I was conflating dewaxing and removing lipids. They're similar but slightly different.

Edit.. I found a good article on dewaxing vs winterization

15. Interesting read. I don't see myself performing either of these methods since I just want to make 20-30ml of final product. I wonder what the amounts of lipids and wax in rosin are.

16. Yeah, it's not something you really want to deal with unless you're working with large quantities of product. But after reading that article, I may not have to. I'm dealing with shatter, not BHO. And I know that it was extracted in a closed loop system. If they already ran it through a dewaxing column then the job's done.....fingers crossed! :)

• Like Like x 1