Turning over a new leaf

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by ZenBuddah, Feb 1, 2012.

1. #1 ZenBuddah, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    Hi, let me begin with a little introduction. Now this could be a long read so exit now if you've no patience.

I live in California and turned 18 2 months ago, in my senior year. Now growing up I've messed up on a majority of the opportunities I've had, because I was very lazy. For example I skipped out on a IB acceptance test for a elite school which I've studied and aced in my IB academy because I just simply woke up late. And that lazy streak just stayed with me throughout my entire high school year and I gotta say I really closed a lot of doors for me. Now I would blaze a lot throughout my high school year so I've been thinking that's probably why I was so lazy. Now in my senior year I just reflected back on my accomplishments and realized I practically had none. At that point I was wondering if I should quit weed, but for me it's not just smoking to get high, it's more a of a lifestyle choice for me, I love it too much to give up. Than I decided to give the opposite effect by using bud as a reward system. For the past 2 weeks I've been getting all my priorities set by early starting from early in the morning and when I got all my shit done, I would blaze, and I gotta say it was a really satisfactory feeling. This was sort of a wake up call to me, at the moment I attend school once a week in a independent studies program so it gives me a flexible worktime schedule, and I just got hired in a restaurant and start on Monday, 8 hours each weekday. Now with the hourly pay and tips I am to expect around 1,500 to 2,300 dollars each month, I personally asked the workers there and they all said that was their range. Now this really puts me to the test if I can turn over a new leaf, I really messed up academically, my friends are going to good colleges, so for me this job is all I really have. I have definite motivation now, and get my daily priorities done as well. I plan to save up 3 months and my parents are gonna give me aide to buy a Acura RSX. Things are finally looking up and feels like I'm finally out of this hole I've dug for myself and moving on with life again.

Now on another note, I feel like I'm growing out of my highschool mentality and getting my life straight. However I really don't know how to experience life because I've been lazing around with my friends just smoking weed and playing games. Now, my question is, with my payroll, what are so choices I could make to enjoy life in a financially smart way? Like I want to make separate bank accounts to save for my car for the first three months of work, condo, and weekly use. So if I get an average to 2,000 a month I was thinking about 1,000 for a condo, 200 for weed, around 50 for phone bill, savings account for 500, and 250 for my pocket money, and save like that for a period of time. Since I begin work fulltime I could only really hang out during the weekends, and I want to use those weekends to drive places and make memories with friends. So what are some fun and interesting things I can do? I have a job and a car so the possibilities is at its highest peak. I'm quite new to this kind of freedom so I don't know how to use it to its highest potential.

Thanks for the reading

2. I would say gather up some of your friends one weekend and head over to the redwood forest (I'm not sure what it's called). If you live close enough to it you should bring some tents and camp out one night. For me, just being in nature for a while leads to self-realization and forces you to think and ponder. Oh yeah, if possible have you and your buddies turn of your phones while your there and just enjoy each others company. I'm sure you will find some of the answers your looking for of you do that