Turned one of my computers into a web server

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by CurtChronic, Nov 2, 2009.

1. I've been wanting to try this out forever, I'm a geek like that.

Grabbed one of my old computers that has just been sitting around and I decided to throw Linux Mint on there. After doing that I was like, "What the hell, I might as well turn it into a web server!"

It's an internal website only, however. I just did it to have a fun way to share my files throughout my house rather than the simple methods. Makes it have a little more of a "cool" factor for me.

It was surprisingly easy. Anyway...there is really no other point to this, just thought I'd bring it up and see if there are any other geeks on the board. :smoke:

2. lol, well...this thread didn't do so great.

3. Lol i've been there

4. maybe u could offer to host someones web site and make some cash if the computer is able lol.

5. post this in the silicone (v)alley sub forum next time for better results

thats where they put all of us geeks at :)

6. With my DSL connection that wouldn't be a good hosting solution at all.

Well poo, it's so hard to keep track of all the forums on GC.

7. haha i'm about to do this too for my private wow server :p

8. What are you serving on it?

If you're just using it to share files, I would just set up a Samba share. That's what I do: I have a main desktop with this cavernous hard drive running Ubuntu, and I share ~ across the network via SMB.

9. Without a doubt I actually only need Samba. This is just a "fun factor" type thing for me.

10. I've got my old PC running XP with Apache, PHP and MySQL. Lately it's just been sitting in a corner turned off, I was using it to host a company website I was working on but I haven't been doing much of that lately.