TSA to allow certain knives aboard aircraft

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ganja monster, Mar 7, 2013.

1. The TSA has decided to allow passengers to be able to carry knives aboard aircraft, provided they meet certain requirements. The blade must be no longer than 2.36" and no wider than 1/2". No fixed or locking blades will be allowed and the grip cannot be molded.

Those working in the airline travel industry have loudly opposed the mood, which is understandable given the events of 9/11. I agree that the move does remove a certain amount of safety but I do not believe the decision should be reversed. I embrace the restoration of a certain degree of normalcy to our lives. The TSA has become a bit ridiculous over the past few years and there are other regulations that could be dropped but I do not feel that this move endangers our security. I'm interested to hear what you guys think though. Let's hear some opinions.

2. Given the opportunity, I would fly on a plane with no/minimal security checks.

3. this is insanity!

next they'll start allowing water and toothpaste!

the terrorists have won.

4. Its just a 2" knife. Someone trys to take over the plane with a knife I'll take my chances kicking their ass

5. you would think most people would

6. Probably not. It really only takes 2 people. They basically have maid it so box cutters are ok

7. LOL. This is so stupid

You can bring knives just useless ones...

Why? What's the point?

For personal protection? Not with the blades they are allowing

It basically allows pocket Swiss army.knives

Oh and the box cutters supposedly used in 911

8. I don't think it's really for protection so much as it is removing some of the hassle and making it easier to fly. There are plenty of people that carry lighters (who don't smoke) and pocket knives just because they're useful items. Given the specifications of what will be allowed you could argue that there was no point in prohibiting them in the first place.

Razors and box cutters remain explicitly banned.

9. That makes sense.

Good to see regulations decreased from time to time

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcMDG8zjoc&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Knifey Spoony - YouTube[/ame]

11. If they would try Positive Profiling, almost all of the inconveniences and hassles we've had to put up with at airports, since 9/11/01, would be unnecessary.

12. "Positive Profiling"
    translation..

pull brown people out of line and harass and search them.

13. ohh sweet. so now boxcutters will be allowed.. WTF?

14. Great. I'm off to go buy a knife before my next flight.

15. Read brotha.

16. I'm fine with box cutters, but I will not tolerate shampoo and conditioner being allowed on planes. That scares me. I hope the TSA checks inside peoples assholes for shampoo bottles.

17. #17 garrison68, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013

Typical incorrect impression, confusing racial profiling with positive profiling - and the reason why we'll continue to have long lines and delays at the airports.

18. I'd rather both the terrorist and I to have guns than both of us to have knives.

19. Does anyone realize liquids are banned because they can be filled with explosives? There is much more of a threat from a liquid, which can be many things, whereas a 2 inch knife cannot hit any vital organs. They would have to execute everyone 1 by 1 for a blade like that to be dangerous.