Trying to move out...feels impossible

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by AsthmaticStoner, Jul 23, 2013.

1. So I'm 21 and trying to move out of my grandmother's house. My mom lives with her also and so does my girlfriend. I pay her about $300 a month for internet, water, electric, car insurance and for my phone. And my car payments are $240. So i spend about $500 a month on bills. I'm trying to get her to take the money i give her monthly and have her set it aside for us for when we move out. But then what about furniture? Crockery, towels, and everything else? I make $10.30 an hour and this season is really slow so I'm not making much. I still owe her for June and may. Gave her $160 so far. Me and my girlfriend are cutting back on eating out and going out in general.

Idk what to do...any suggestions? My girlfriend works at the same job as a server so her income varies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Shits hard bro I understand where your comin from. Just keep saving your dough and eventually you'll get enough

3. If you get paid min wage make sure you're making it back in tips because if not you can file it and get the money paid back to you but I'd look for a second job man & try to convince your girl to get one too.. Maybe invest in stocks or something.. Hate to say it but maybe cut back on the herb too. 
    But I mean, that's only if you REALLY want to move out.. Gotta do what you gotta do tho

4. Maybe ask if you could reduce the amount you pay by a small amount until you have enough saved, with the promise to pay her back once you've got yourself sorted? It'd give you some room to breathe and if you're close as a family I'm guessing that wouldn't be a huge problem.

5. Wtf? Stop bumming it and get on your money. I don't understand how anyone can be 21 and live with there grandma.

I'm 18 and i still live at home. I just turned 18 too. And i fucking hate it. Its the most embarassing thing ever to live with your fucking parents. I'm buying a house one year from now GUARANTEED.

Idk how you can make money. But its not hard. Just figure out something that you can do and get on it. And stop buying weed. Stop buying bullshit. Stack your cash. I didn't smoke for 2 months. Did everything else the same but with no weed. I saved up 600 dollars.

6. yeaah take a tbreak or something. it saves money and the next time you spark up you'll feel the difference

7. Sounds like you need to rob a bank.  

Seriously, don't eat out at all, don't buy weed, and try to get a better job or an extra part time one.  I guess the car is necessary where you live, I never owned one because I use public transportation and walk a lot.  

8. Your granny's really sweet if she's letting 3 of y'all stay at her house this way bro ... Money gets saved when you save all your change, cook at home, walk around a bit, cut on the phone, go to yard sales or flea markets to pick up shit for the new place, don't buy everything together, only what you need n when you need it ...Instead of dates to the mall or the movies or such, take yo girl out on walks, walk hand in hand n talk ... A lot of shit that can be done sir, how much of it you will though is upto you ... G'luck :wave:

9. Best advice. The walks thing is a very good idea. Your girl will appreciate it

10. Lmao you ain't getting a house on $300 a month...

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

11. Man why granny be taxen you?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I think he means he saved 300 a month by not smoking.

Invest In stocks. Best thing I ever did. It got me off the streets. I invested 10,000 and the money just started piling up. If you don't know about stocks, I recommend checking out this website called we seed. They give you fake money to invest in the stock market so you can see how you do.

Good luck.

13. It's hard out there.  The only people I know not struggling to make it are people who have a family member to support them. me and my bf and a roommate all got an apartment together, and even if you make enough money to 'make it'  problems come up, cars breaks down, tooth gets painful, someone gets sick, etc.  It's all about finding out what you can do without.  We live on eggs, PBJ, and cheap food like mashed potatoes, canned veggies, spaghetti, etc so that we have enough to afford grass.  As for furniture and daily neccessities, be aware that things like paper towels, kleenex, cleaning supplies, the costs add up.  Wash rags you can buy cheap ones at walmart, same with towels.  As for everything else, dishes, silverware, shelves, vacuums, etc I recommend garage sales since its summer.  Or goodwill/pawnshops.  You'd be amazed at some of the quality shit I've gotten at garage sales for super cheap.

14. .... I saved 600 dollars by not smoking bud. HMMM i'm pretty sure that means that i spend around 300 dollars a month on weed. Not that i make 300 dollars a month.

And don't worry about what i'm doing. No matter how it goes down i'll have my own house by this time next year. I'm saving 30k for a down payment (which is overkill), my dads a real estate agent, and hes co-signing on that bitch. Haters gone hate.

15. Dude I don't know any kid your age who makes that kind of cash . Most of us have to buy all our own shit like cars and clothes . Your dads a real estate agent makin big bucks or your selling lot of trees ( which I doubt ) . How the fuck can you save 30k and pay for all your own shit without daddy's help and spend $300 a month on bud ? Come on now bro lol.
    If you got your parents buyin you shit that's cool but don't come say to people shits easy you just gotta earn more money .

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. If you feel like it's impossible then it is impossible.  Sell your car and start taking the bus or riding a bike to work (if that's possible for you).  I know around here you can't move out until you graduate college and start a solid career.  Otherwise you're going to be blowing all your money.  Better to stay home and save all you can at least until you have a good career and stable job.

17. You have to save where you can. Cut all expenses you can. You and your girl are getting out cheap for three hundred a month. Pay your grandmother first and foremost. Yes it will mean you save less and it will be harder. However once you move out not paying rent will mean you and your girl are homeless. Landlords dont care about your financial problems. Get use to having to do whatever it takes now and make your rent and utilities your top priority. Your own place is awesome until you cant flush the toilet because your water is shut off.

My wife and i lived off only my income of $12/ hour for our first year. Fun wise it sucked. I ate more mac and cheese, hot dogs, ramen noodles and $2 tv dinners than i care to remember. Most of our furniture was give away stuff that freinds and relatives didnt want.

So your Daddy is co signing on this house and you're up here acting like you're so much more mature or independent than the OP? 

Funny stuff man :laughing:

19. I know if the feeling man, I'm 21 and renting a place with my dad. We both earn about the same money so we just split the bills 50/50. It sucks and I'd love to be able to move out but then I'd be screwing my dad over cause there's no way he'd be able to afford the place on his own.

I have friends that live about an hour away with a spare room who have said I'm more than welcome to have it, but considering I don't drive I'd have to find a job up there...

You just gotta save up man, but yeah you definitely gotta get used to paying rent cause once you move out you won't get so much leniency.