Trying to make a scientific glass bong, need some help

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by graphpaper, Aug 9, 2012.

1. So... ive seen pictures of bongs that people have made from chemistry equipment before, and they all look pretty sweet. Being interested in science, i decided that id like to make one myself. That's where you guys come in. So far i've found a 1 L boiling flask Aliexpress.com : Buy 1000ml (1L) 2 neck (two neck) flat bottom boiling flask, heavy wall (Pyrex glass meterial) from Reliable flat bottom flask suppliers on Beijing Getty Laboratory Glassware Co.,Ltd. to use for a base, and a straight tube to use for the stem. Aliexpress.com : Buy Straight drying glass tube adapter (Laboratory Glass) (lab suppies) from Reliable drying tube suppliers on Beijing Getty Laboratory Glassware Co.,Ltd.

my questions are: will these items be good enough, and make a large enough bong, and should i attempt to use a piece of scientific equipment as a bowl and downstem, or should i just go to a headshop?

any other comments or advice are welcomed and appreciated, and if anyone has any scientific glass they want to show off, lets see it.

2. This may be kind of obvious but make sure your joints are correctly sized or it's goin to be a bitch getting a downstem for it.

3. Thanks man, according to the site they are "standard 24/29" but i have no idea what that means. I may just go to a teachers supply store and ask them for help building a "distillation column"

4. most of the pices i have seen are hybrids of chemistry equipment and head shop glass i.e. the down-stem adapters

5. [quote name='"graphpaper"']

Thanks man, according to the site they are "standard 24/29" but i have no idea what that means. I may just go to a teachers supply store and ask them for help building a "distillation column"[/quote]

That means its 24mm to a 29mm joint or vice versa... Some bongs have 29 mm downstems but idk about 24. Standard bong joint sizes are 14mm and 18mm then they also have 10mm and 29mm. Definitely check the sizes because that will be the most important factor in if you can pull this off. If you can find the right sizes, then right on brother. Can't wait to see your creation!

6. Looks like a good idea, upload pics when it's done :D

7. i dig the idea, tell me how it goes i might try tht myself:smoking: