Trying to do right

Discussion in 'General' started by POTSTYLZ, Apr 29, 2005.

1. So last night after I got off work my mom called me and told me her and my dad were having Financial trouble. So I have decided not to move on to California and to take care of my family. I make enough that the money isnt a problem. But I decided to stay on the East Coast and just make a life here.

The issue I have is Amy is really really mad that I think we need to stay here. But I really believe my family needs me. What would some of you guys do in my position?

2. I dont know the story. You should probably stay there, its expensive in cali.

3. It is good to see someone being responsible and taking care of what is REALLY important, not trivial stuff. Good luck to you bro.

4. Wow... That is a really tough spot. You are really the only one that knows what is best for you.

I have had some different experiences in my life. My brother is bi-polar (we found this out the evening of my wedding). In the begining I was so upset over it. Meaning I was so worried for him and thought that all my attention and brain power should be dedicated to him - afterall I love him! But then I realized all to quick that all this worry that I thought was 'care' was only ruining my life. There is absolutely nothing I can do for my brother except talk to him when he feels like talking. That's it. If I gave him money it was enabling him to continue with his current lifestyle. He may have an illness, but he is still a responsible human. (just think about all the famous people who are bi-polar... They were responsible about their illness and went on to become famous!) Anyway my parents are just now learning the same thing I learned a long time ago. They have been pouring money on my brother and for what? To keep him out of jail (unable to pay his own debt)? He's bi-polar not unable to care for himself. He will continue to be a blackhole of a money pit until we make him be responsible by not supplying him money. Sadly right now jail is the best place I can think of. He would be going to a mental facilitiy because of his crimes/reason for crimes and there he will be on his medication and watched daily. My parents will have a bit of relief that he is being cared for. Right now my Mother looks 10 years older, she is worried all the time, and she knows that her own child is using her because he is that selfish (illness or not).

I can't speak to your life or your experiences, but honestly I wouldn't do it. I would live my life. Isnt that why your parents had you? So they could watch you grow and eventually have your individual life? But like I said before, you are the only one that knows what is right for your life. Just think about your future and how you will feel about either road you take. What is going to fulfill your life? :)

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Good luck with it!

5. Tough call, I understand where your comming from. Part of your probelem though it seems is how much change they will ad to your life. If you moved somewhere farther away, you could always still send money. Why are you dad & mom hurtin cash wise? I have a friend who didnt want to move away from her family because of the stability she brought to the table, but moving away has made her a healthier more sane personn. Really, tough call how much would you really be helping them though..