trying to decide CFLs or HPS/HID

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LOUDNESS215, Nov 14, 2012.

1. I heard a lot of good feed back for both types of lights but I cant decide.....any suggestions

2. I started with CFL's and made the switch to MH/HPS HID. I'm very happy I did and will never go back to CFL's.

3. [quote name='"JLC322"']I started with CFL's and made the switch to MH/HPS HID. I'm very happy I did and will never go back to CFL's.[/quote]

Ok I'm going to definitely keep that in mind last question soil or hydroponic

4. CFL create less heat, and are basically unfuckupable. HID gives more light, penetrates better, yields higher, but is more expensive and creates more heat.
    Soil is easier. Start there, move to hydro, if you want to, after you understand the plant well.

5. [quote name='"Mister Meaner"']CFL create less heat, and are basically unfuckupable. HID gives more light, penetrates better, yields higher, but is more expensive and creates more heat.
    Soil is easier. Start there, move to hydro, if you want to, after you understand the plant well.[/quote]

I Definitely appreciate the advice I think I'm going to start with the soil like you said

6. I'm almost done with my first soil grow (put the girls in 48hrs dark and gonna be chopping after). My next few grows are gonna be auto flowers and will be in soil. I do plan on making the switch to hydro, but not until I master soil grow. Soil is more forgiving then hydro.

7. [quote name='"JLC322"']
    I'm almost done with my first soil grow (put the girls in 48hrs dark and gonna be chopping after). My next few grows are gonna be auto flowers and will be in soil. I do plan on making the switch to hydro, but not until I master soil grow. Soil is more forgiving then hydro.[/quote]

I think im going to take a page from your book mastering soil grow first

8. [quote name='"LOUDNESS215"']

I think im going to take a page from your book mastering soil grow first[/quote]
    Good to hear man! I'll be looking forward to a grow thread from you! I'll be updating mine with my final dry harvest weight.

9. [quote name='"JLC322"']
    Good to hear man! I'll be looking forward to a grow thread from you! I'll be updating mine with my final dry harvest weight.[/quote]
    Def I'm going start mine soon as my girls germinate

10. I'm going to use 2 6500K 26W Lights, and 2 2700K 23W Lights. CFLs, and just some generic potting soil from the store. I mean if you're on a budget this is the way to go. Have you seen the CFL grows on this site? They still get some pretty sexy harvests.

11. [quote name='"jizzledfreq"']I'm going to use 2 6500K 26W Lights, and 2 2700K 23W Lights. CFLs, and just some generic potting soil from the store. I mean if you're on a budget this is the way to go. Have you seen the CFL grows on this site? They still get some pretty sexy harvests.[/quote]

No I haven't seen the CFL grows on here im about to check it out now and you kickn out a lot of kw

12. I'd only be using roughly 98W total, which would barely equal .1kW/Hour. That's not too bad. Since it's winter and the heater here is getting run a lot, that .1kW/Hour will barely be noticeable.

13. Oh shit lol I mis read I thought the opposite I had u at like 56000 lol gotta grab sum grow books and brush up a lil

14. Ditto. Nothing wrong with a well maintained CFL grow. Nothing at all. Just keep them close to the plants and they get plenty of light.

15. Ok bro I'm definitely going 2 keep that in mind

16. Really depends on budget and goals and space. Want a small stash of some decent bud without investing a lot into fans and lights? Go for cfls. Want to grow multiple plants that will produce ounces? Hps and md are way. to go. Its not cheap. But I have 42 plant in 3 gallon buckets under 14000 watts. I have 3 more 1000 watt lights for flower.

17. Typing on phone sucks. Won't let me correct the errors. Oh well :/

18. I def feel that tho 42 plants that yield ounces.... I'm thinkn heavy investment equal heavy profit thankz 4 the advice

19. You got to have the space. I have a spare room. Fairly large. I divided the room into a veg and flower with white and black sided stuff I got from the hydro shop. If you go with hps and flipable ballists just don't half ass the reflector. I have 1 1000 watt light that does like 4 plants in 5 gal buckets. I have another that can do 15 and the price diff was only 100 bucks.