Trying this Again, Indoor

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WellHello, Apr 2, 2013.

1. #1 WellHello, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
    Sorry so long.

So the last time I did this, which was not my first time, I failed miserably on an outdoor grow. The plant was absolutely stunning throughout it's entire life, but the buds never filled out. They just didn't thicken, I guess. And they tasted like dabooty.

Thoughts of self doubt ran rampant through my frontal lobe. But now, I'm gonna be moving soon, and I want to give this one more shot before I leave, not really knowing where I am moving to.

I'm sure I've got the majority figured out, and narrowed down my issues which I believe caused it to happen. I'm hoping someone here can possibly fill me in on what the hip and effective techniques there are today, while I'm attempting to gather as much info as possible before germination.

1. Foremost, the bud thickness issue. Last time I used a different watering system, where I poured the water into a reservoir that was underneath the soil, where it "evaporated into the soil from below". Was supposed to eliminate risk of over-watering and reduce need for flushing. Dumdumdum because the nutrients/fertilizer I don't think evaporated haha??? Could my buds lack of fullness/thickness be as simple as that? Or are there other ways to insure thick dense, juicy buds? I'll be doing the traditional indoor soil n pot setup this time, using nutrients properly.

2. How/when do I properly flush? I've never done that, I never even used nutrients until last time.

3. Drying. I don't think I've ever gotten this part right. Again though, I can dry anywhere in my house, so whatever the best possible way to dry it please do let me know. I don't have a basement, but I do have an attic. Anywhere from floor to attic. Last time I manicured them, then hung them from string in a bedroom closet.

4. Curing. Last go-round, I never really saw any improvement in the already pathetic buds. I used glass jars with air-tight lids and stuck them under a cabinet, for quite a while. I opened the jars, periodically, I can't quite remember the burping schedule I used though. Any help with these processes is greatly appreciated.

5. One last thing, I have heard so many different answers. What do I do about yellowing fan leaves, or leaves that are blocking buds from getting light?? Do I remove those leaves?

A little about my grow space. It's an entire bedroom. I'm only going to use a corner of it though, but I have from floor to ceiling and pretty much as wide as I would need. I can't put a hole in my house, so I'm going to run the a/c, have some fans circulating air on "real wind" function and leave a crack in the window with a fan in front of opening pulling air in while a different fan blows out. I guess. I hope that will work. I don't have to worry about the smell in my house, and maybe I can have the wind shoot some kind of air freshener out the window with it. I've got plenty of time and plenty of resources. I only want to grow enough plants for me and my wife to happily enjoy for a while without having to deal with these sketchy dealers here. Maybe 5-7 nice size plants if we're lucky with the seeds. The seeds are maybe a year old, or more. But they should be quality purchased. Hope seeds last. I had them in a tightly closed tin can, and inside the baggies they came in, and in a cabinet. My house temp is usually in the 70's. I can go into power saving mode if/when I need to. I don't plan on doing any cloning from these plants, just this grow then I'm done, so I'm hoping I can complete everything within the confines of the bedroom, but I can use elsewhere.

2. Ok, for one it's trial and error man. Greater men have tried and failed lol. You just gotta keep it up. For watering I would say stick with pouring directly on to the soil or whatever mix your using. Should help the whole plant get as much of its food as possible (food being water lol). For flushing just make sure you have some good drainage holes in your pot and do how it sounds lol just slowly and gently not to disturb the growing girl, pour water on all parts of the soil and after you pour enough (maybe a couple cups) the water should start seeping through and come out the drainage holes. Poke some more if you need, the water should be discolored. For drying I would say visit the harvesting and drying thread, and they will have ample information. But a suggestion for space, what I'm going to do is use my grow space. I've got a garbage can with the lights and ventilation built in, but you could even be as simple as a Rubbermaid with decent air circulation. And about the yellowing leaves there are many many causes but the two main are PH level not where is should be, and too much nutes. You just have to play with them, it's a big experiment, hope I helped a little. Here's my grow journal if you get a minute to look, that might help too. http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...rnal-what-do-you-guys-think.html#post17649729

3. What lights are you planning on using? What medium? What nutes? Are these fem seeds? Do you know what they are? How big is the bedroom? Can you spend money on this grow or are you on a budget?

4. #4 BrassNwood, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
    Never having had an outdoor grow fail.. I guessed I'm blessed to live in so Calif.. just wait them out as long as it takes.. good sunlight till Dec.. fluffy buds is usually lack of light more then anything.. this is a sun loving plant.. southern exposure full sun all day if growing outside..

ahh flushing.. no comment.. some do some don't.. I do dirt and SIPs and don't flush.. read up and decide for yourself..

http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/1175723-70-watt-mh-hid-starter-box.html#post17167539 page 3 I think has the Curing..
    Drying and Curing are one in the same.. read my way.. compare it to most of the ways you'll read.. again decide for yourself.. as low as the humidity is here if I used the attic, cardboard box, paper bag, hang for a week method.. I'd have crap.. stone dry crumbly crap that you couldn't cure.. just my 2 cents on Curing..imo most people get this part wrong.. your last cure failed because you way over dried.. never let your weed drop below 58% humidity.. simple rule

as long as a leaf still has green it's working.. practice more LITFA.. leave it the F@#$ alone.. for soil i'd go with .. yes i'll brand name here.. Fox Farms Ocean Forest potting soil.. my local hydro store sells the hell out of it.. and it's rich enough to get most if not all the way into flower before needing any nutes.. start in small cups.. transplant often like every 2 weeks into a slightly larger pot.. getting a little rootbound then getting fresh soil does good things..you can tell it's time to transplant by roots showing at base and high water use.. daily water need is a sure sign to transplant.. do last transplant into a 5 gal or bigger when you flower out

Watering.. the lift method is hard to screw up.. fill a spare container with some of your dry soil..no plant.. that's your to dry baseline.. let them dry between waterings.. but not to dry.. ha.. each plant will tell you if it needs a drink or not by it's weight.. once they get to big you can just tip .. but by then you'll be an expert..

Lighting... ahhh ok go buy a 4 pack of 26-100watt 6500k color CFLs.. look close at the back of the box little chart shows what color the lamp is.. should say daylight/6500k.. cool white at 5000k is a 2nd best choice.. get a 5 buck clamp light.. and some socket doublers.. that gets you started.. 4 seeds=1 lamp.. add as needed ..CLFs need to be close.. 6 inches over a seedling.. as close as 1 inch as it passes 2 or 3 inches tall

Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light - Walmart.com

Cooper Wiring BP700V 2 Socket Lampholder Adapter Ivory #4560892 at HardwareAndTools.com lowes has them too

when your plants outgrow the 4 CFLs you can think about this

Standard Magnetic Grow Lights

and now you have all you need to be a master grower.. enjoy