Truth or Fact : Are men equal?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by GGrass, May 22, 2010.

1. Every single person is equal in terms of being human. Now your car, your height, your money...Those things aren't equal

But when it comes down to being human - We are all on the same exact level, male or female.

2. #62 Aquoz, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
    I don't think the question was as simple as "Are all humans humans?"

And no, as humans we are not equal. There will always be someone that is better at something than someone else. That's not to say anyone is any more important than anyone else, because in the grand scheme of things we're so insignificant we can't even begin to comprehend it.

3. #63 SouthrnSmoke, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
    i love dirty girls.................

I don't believe anyone is equal. I am not equivalent to anyone who has ever lived, if you were to take the time to accurately measure a complex set of characteristics for every person in the world, my guess is nobody would line up the same. And even if people did, your measurements are just not accurate/complex enough to create a real definition. Different people are strong in different areas. Not every man can calculate statisics in their mind only, and not every man can squat 1000 pounds or more at the gym. However some can in both cases.

Some people are stupid, some people are smart.
    some people are strong physically, other are weak.
    Some people are really good at giving bj's and only spinal bifida related problems will prevent them from bringing on a climax, others aren't.

4. Your confused.

if physical attributes just say play a part in measuring equality then that opens the possibility for all types of measurement.

The first step would be to appreciate all human as humans.

5. Interesting thought but perhaps a bit vague. What exactly is the comparison? "Equal" to what? If you are suggesting "Are all men are equal" implying comparing one man to the other, wouldn't the answer be self-evident without having to give the question a lot of thought?

Speak to us Sensei....

6. It all goes back to who the observer and therefore judge of equality is.

If there is to be judging then it would also rely on what criteria was used to make the judgement of superior and inferior. Of course then certain men would be superior in some areas and inferior in others, since their is no way to accurately compare such diverse talents as cooking and sword fighting and skateboarding and painting and basket weaving and pole vaulting.

7. First of all, I appreciate everyone who's shared their thought here... Thank you.

----------

I asked the question, 'Are men equal?', and I get question in return, 'Equal to what?'

And I reply,

'Equal to live.'

Can a man decide whether another man will live, or die?

If a man holds another man's life in his hands, are they equal?

----------

Someone in this thread had replied,

"Colt made men equal." (not in exact words, but...)

At first it seemed like a joke, but the more I think about it, it's not just a joke...

8. I don't know what I want to say...

May be I'll try by saying,

"I believe, or I want to believe, that men are equal. And if we are not, we should strive to be equal. However, there are Kings and Queens... the royal bloods... With their mere existance, they make men unequals. And that is why I think they are the parasites of human kinds. Only by existing, they make it impossible to achieve equalness amongst men, and therefore, I think they should be eliminated."

9. I think a lot of people in this thread are getting the wrong idea about the phrase 'all mean are created equal'.

It was originally though of by John Locke and basically meant that all humans were born without any human nature, any desires or idea's of morality etc., and are completely products of their environment.

It had nothing to do with racial, social or gender equality.

On topic though I don't think men are equal under the law or in any other real sense either.

Imagine a homeless boy who is homeless because of the actions of his parents. If this boy stole a loaf of bread to survive I doubt anybody would judge him and consider it morally wrong to steal the loaf of bread. Now imagine an upper class boy who was born into a rich family. If this boy stole a loaf of bread because of teenage angst or an act of rebellion he's just a wanker.

The same act has a completely different web of meaning and justification.

10. Your a funny bugger.

Good read :wave: