Trouble sprouting leaves?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KingKush, May 17, 2011.

1. Germinated these two seeds in rockwool as you can see the dates are on there as well. I find it odd that the one on May 10th still has not seemed to breach out of the seeds shell to expose its leaves.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. what kind of lights and how far away are they?

also your rockwool looks a little dry... might just be the picture

3. The lights won't matter much at this point.

My guess, not moist enough, so they're a little slow.
    Having said that, they look fine, just leave them alone for now.

4. Florescent light is right above my propagator. And the rockwool is soaked.

5. #5 KingKush, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    Not sure whats going on but the leaves seemed to have curled in... Help please! And the other one still hasn't broke free. They're under 1 T5 light which is on about 16 hours a day and they're still in a propagator; should I take them out of there? 22 degrees celcius inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. how far is your T5 from them?

7. About 6-8 inches. Its just above my propagator.

8. keep the lights on 24/0 until they get a few sets of leaves. 16/8 is too much darkness for any vegging plant, especially ones this young.

and the t5 should be literally like resting on your dome. tbh you don't really need the propagator and can take them out if you want. if you do, move the light even closer!!

9. Ahhh I see. Okay I'll do that. The T5 is right above the dome, barely touching to be precise. I left the dome on because its kinda of dusty in my room and didn't want dust forming on the plants or rockwool.

Thanks a bunch!

10. Get that light as close as you can, to avoid the stem stretching. (Actually, you can add even more light now.)
    Everything else is fine.

11. Okay thanks! Will do.

12. Curious as to how wet the rockwool should be? At the moment its moist to the touch but not dripping from the bottom.

13. That should be fine - moist is best.

14. Took a chance and gently pulled off the left over seed shell on plant #1 and this is what it looks like now! Should I start adding nutes? No signs of the stems breaching the bottom of the rockwool yet. Quite a bit of stretching, but I now put the light and inch and a half away.

[​IMG]

Plant #1 and plant #2
    [​IMG]

15. not even close to needing nutes.

you should get a taproot in the next day or two. what are you going to transplant into?

16. They need at least 18 hours of light,
    I do 24, just be patient and give it lots of tlc. Don't wet the rockwool as much roots search for water so if it's there to much they don't need to search in theory. How long u been a grower for ?

17. You should use canna start or maby super thrive is good.

18. #18 KingKush, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
    I'm an absolute beginner.

Oh okay. I'm going to be growing them in a 2x4 flood tray. Ebb and Flow w/ Lucas Nute Formula.

19. The initial problem with the leaves not opening up was caused by the skin left over from the seed. If you would have taken and carefully removed the little membrane the leaves would have opened within hours.

20. As long as you don't mind risking damage to the plant.

Much better to let the plant do it in it's own good time, then there's no risk.
    After all, these plants managed to do it OK for many thousands of years before we came along.
    There's no benefit in trying to rush things. Let nature take it's course, in my opinion.