Tropical grow room, comments please...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Topcat22, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Am contemplating attempting a first grow...
    Please could you critique my planned grow room set up. .....
    I have a small to medium spare bedroom which is about 10x12x10 with a 3 speed overhead fan fixed to the ceiling in the center of the room and a window (not overlooked at all) about 3x4 on one wall.
    My main fear is that it will be too hot as I'm growing in a hot and humid environment. About 40-55% humidity and temps ranging from 23-33 degrees celsius.
    With the fan on max and the window open I'd say the average temp will be in the high 20's during the day and low 20's at night.
    The room gets direct sunlight in the morning from about 8am until 11am at best but the heat is always there. The door to the room will always remain closed for security purposes.
    In such a situation where I need to keep the temp down and the window open what kind of artificial light and what strength should I be using?
    I will be able to stop the bug problem from keeping the window open by using a mozzie screen. This will diffuse the sunlight a little but I can always make up for it with more light power.
    One more light question. Are halogen lights the same as HPS?

Got a few ideas to control the smell but a grow tent/carbon filter seem to be impractical for this set up due to excessive heat. It has been suggested to use a carbon filter but I cannot see a way I can practically do that without having major renovation, knocking holes in the wall which is not an option in this case. I can open the window in 2 ways I can close the window. I can effectively cover the window for the flowering stage. but a fan/filter system seems out of the question in this case.
    Have looked at using an ionizer http://www.rainbowaire.net/site/product.cfm?id=68778408-188B-2DFC-BADA294541F555F2/decoy grow/gel fresheners ONA PRO GEL GAL BREEZE | GYO Supply to hide the smell from neighbours (town house).
    On failing all this a tray full of gel air fresheners in each corner of the room plus a few on the windowsill is my back up plan.

Are there any other options I should be looking into?

I'm currently undecided as to what strains to grow exactly as I have a mix between autoflower and normal feminised seeds. For my first grow I think I'd like something quick and easy but at the same time some of the others are big faves (TD/LSD/DrG) so the temptation is there to load them all in together and see if I can pull it off!

These are my choices....
    Tangerine dream
    Dr Grindspoon
    Afgan Kush Ryder (autoflower)
    Connie Chung
    Green-O-Matic
    Blue Cheese
    LSD
    NL (autoflower)
    Blue Hash
    Blue Widow
    Critical (autoflower)
    Pineapple express

Which of these would be easiest to grow? Which of these would be the least smelly? I'm thinking the Afghan kush would be quickest. Is that right?

This is a first grow so all comments/questions are welcome. Sorry if this in in the wrong forum but I'm casting my question net wide in the hopes of finding help.

2. Maybe try a sealed room. Your new so you would fuck a lot of shit up, but it might save ya time and headaches in the long run. Depends how much money ya want to drop into the room.

If ya want to do just a passive..I'd just get some air cooled hoods, have fans coolin em and running outside. Seal off the window with fire board and cut out the holes ya need for vent exit.

If your growing weed don't be picking strains for "less odor" all pot will reek up your house. You have to get a carbon filter and fan. Unless you don't have any neighbors around ya. NL is very easy to grow I suggest starting with that.

Oh, and get a dehumidifier. It sounds like your in Florida. If you don't you will get bud rot late into flowering.

3. Relative Humidity is pretty consistent 55%-70% in the room at the moment with no grow. Will the figure rise when the plants get going?
    The ambient temp in the room with window open and fan on varies from 28-30 degrees C depending on the location and time of day. With the window closed it goes up to 32 degrees.
    Heat is my main enemy with this grow. I'm planning on using fans to cool everything down to save on electric costs but TBH might need to go with some real A/C eventually. Especially if I have to build a cab of some sort. I plan to use CFL's to avoid too many heat issues so there may not even be a choice eventually.
    Trying to make these hard decisions now BEFORE I start to grow as I don't want everything to go wrong due to lack of planning.
    This is a fun project for me personally as I've never tried anything like this before.

4. Honestly, you are going about this backwards. You are concerning yourself with strains, but what you need to do right now is read -- a whole lot. There is tons of info here at GC, check the sticky threads, grow guides, links in my sig, and troll down through the first couple of pages of the beginner and indoor sections. There you will learn that a few hours of sunlight won't cut it, that a halogen is not the same as HPS, and that the length of time to grow means your temps can't stay in the same range the whole duration.

And if heat is your main concern then understand that fans do not cool air, they only move air. Fans in a hot room will only blow hot air around. To cool you need to use fans to move hot air out and cool air in. If you don't have a source for cool air then you can't cool the room (keeping in mind that grow lighting will only be adding even more heat). Might need an air conditioner.

5. #5 Go-Rizla, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    [quote name='"toastybiz"']Honestly, you are going about this backwards. You are concerning yourself with strains, but what you need to do right now is read -- a whole lot. There is tons of info here at GC, check the sticky threads, grow guides, links in my sig, and troll down through the first couple of pages of the beginner and indoor sections. There you will learn that a few hours of sunlight won't cut it, that a halogen is not the same as HPS, and that the length of time to grow means your temps can't stay in the same range the whole duration.

And if heat is your main concern then understand that fans do not cool air, they only move air. Fans in a hot room will only blow hot air around. To cool you need to use fans to move hot air out and cool air in. If you don't have a source for cool air then you can't cool the room (keeping in mind that grow lighting will only be adding even more heat). Might need an air conditioner.[/quote]

Yessir.

More seriously, seriously. This guys normally right, and I'll admit to what he's said. You'll save your self a bunch of time and money if you pick through everything and ask the right questions. Every time I have an issue, someone's got the answer posted already. Save face, search.

6. OK have listened and changed my plan. Have made a nice little grow cab along a wall. Have plenty of lights and am now resigned to buying an air cooling device of some kind at some point. After doing temperature checking I realised it will be necessary.
    Have some pics soon....