trichome maturation

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sibannac, Dec 1, 2006.

1. My trichomes have started to turn, mostly cloudy, but still a few clear, and the odd amber one here or there. What I'm wondering, is how long does it usually take the trichs to mature to mostly amber (for the raised CBD potency for painkilling) from being mostly cloudy? The plants appear to be sativa dominant, although the strain is unknown.

2. bump, anyone?

3. I'd say when they start turning a darker amer.

4. Well it all depends on the strain. Sativa's take longer. Just keep watching. Is the best advice I can give. Out of curiosity, what do your hairs look like? It's not a rule, but a good bet that once most of the hairs have turned, most of the trichomes have as well.

5. i think it depends on a couple things. sativas take longer to grow so....... it'll prob. depend on environment too, strains. any number of things play a part. i'd love to hear how it turns out. i've never waited long enough for amber. how far along are you?

6. They're near seven weeks into flower now. About 20% of hairs are amber on one plant and about 10% on the other. Most trichs are just cloudy, with the odd clear or amber one here or there. They are on ten hours of light a day now, to speed things along a little - I want to get the new grow in the flower box withing the next week or two to sex them (and I'm running short on doob too!) Do you think they will be ready to harvest within the next fortnite?

7. the hairs, for the most part, won't tell you much. you might make notes about the stages of trichome color versus hair color for future growth of the same strain. then in the future, you'll have a heads up. sounds like you've got a problem i'd like to have. too many plants! i'm a yank. so i don't know what a fortnite. what is that, a month? i figure you have a week or two more. you've got the amber trichs there already, that's good. hang in there!!

8. if you've gome some amber already, i'd say not more that two weeks and it'll be done.

9. Thanks man, the strain certainly looks worth trying again, they are producing loads of resin now, I still have 3 seeds from the batch so I'll definitely try them again at some point. A fortnite is two weeks, sorry I'm originally from England, i forget the US/UK differences in language. A week or two more is perfect, right on time for my skunk#1 sexing:hello:

10. you'll enjoy the #1, i did. very tasty!

11. Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I've always enjoyed it in the dam, not too potent, but a damn nice middle of the day smoke.

12. i have 6 plants and its my first grow. I am almost ready to start flowering. Its northern lights and plan on 80 percent amber this time but after i harvest i will pick the clones from the best producer for the next crop... Next time (I have 3 cuttings per plant) i want to harvest earlier 50 percent cloudy/amber to compare differences in high. I may even do one 30 percent amber also. I want to do this with clones from the same plant so i can judge some consistancy... any thoughts on this either way?

13. I've thought about picking a couple of small buds at different points, like you suggest. I might just do it, but I kinda don't want to disturb the ladies. When I have a larger yeild in future grows I'll probably experiment then. I'll be interested in what you think of the NL at different stages - it's one of my alltime fave plants!

14. i know what you mean.. i read of people on here trimming buds earlier but wondered if doing this you stress the plant and maybe redirect some of the energy mean for other buds to repair the damage?

15. I think you are right about that, at least that's what I've gathered from what I've read. I'm sure if you injure a plant it has to heal it's self and divert important enzymes from making bud.

16. If you are comparing harvest dates, you'll need to do it with the same crop. The second generation clones (which you took in veg, right?) may be more potent than the first crop, anyway, as the plant is more mature.

-mu

17. Hmmmm never even considered that. I was just going to go by trich color status. So if I harvest at the same stage as my current one during my next grow it might be even more potent? Another thing is i will grow smaller plants next time in the same size pots.. so maybe more root space will create bigger buds? Even if bud size were bigger if the trich color percentage were the same wouldnt the potency be the same? From the same plant i grew originally? Another thing for me to ponder.. lol

18. unless you change something in the environment, the potency won't change. a strain is what it is.

19. Can someone post pics of trichomes turning cloudy or amber, i'm unsure of what to look for?

20. Having a large root mass does usually correlate with large bud/veg mass unless there is something wrong in the environment. Also, a clone is the same plant as the mother, it will act just as the mother would have done under the conditions the clone is in (if that makes sense?)