Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Traveling With Edibles?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by thibzz, Jun 23, 2014.

1. So, my mother was recently started on medical marijuana for chronic pain (in Arizona) and decided to go exclusively with edibles. As of this morning, I heard from her that it is helping more than anything ever has. It's allowed her to take almost no morphine in the last three days, which is a huge step for her. Unfortunately, her reliance on this as a medication makes it difficult for her to come visit us (Wisconsin). Since she likes edibles anyway, is it possible for her to sneak it on the flight? Maybe mix some of her gummy worms with regular gummy worms, even if only enough to get her through the flight? My brother and I could always have something else waiting for her when she gets here. Is this something the TSA is on the lookout for in AZ? I really want my mother to be able to visit, I can't always take two weeks off of work to go down there but I do like to see her, and while MMJ is great for her it's making this part difficult. Help me find a solution?

2. Preparing the candy as you described would probably be relatively safe, especially if your mother is legal in AZ. I know that edibles, even in their original packaging, have flown in a carry-on from San Jose to Milwaukee without incident. Also, it's possible that Wisconsin's new CBD law may actually be good for something, it may protect out of state visitors with valid recommendations! 

3. I recently flew to several cities in the US, the UK, and Spain with oils and edibles and no one at any point even looked at me sideways. I am not advising anyone else to do this, but my husband and I decided to test travelling with my meds and we were prepared to make "fair access to meds" an issue if I were arrested or detained at any point. If you're not prepared for the consequences, then you shouldn't do it.

My meds were in the form of capsules and candy that looks/smells like tootsie rolls. The capsules were placed with my other meds (in bottles) and the candy was left in its packaging and taken aboard in my carry-on. I also had oils in syringes that I carried with my e-cigarette accessories.

I am 61 and I travel as handicapped; requiring wheelchairs at all airports. (This is done partially to create a more favorable impression - older women in wheelchairs are non-threatening.) I also have a GOES/Trusted Traveler card which allows me expedited security through special lanes in major cities, and it's for faster customs/immigration (costs $100+) when returning from overseas. Of course I always carried my doctor's MMJ letter with me, as well as my MMJ card. Last, but not least, I kept several important phone numbers with me, written down, in case I did not have access to my phone. (Who remembers phone numbers anymore???) Amongst those phone numbers were NORML offices and several pro-MMJ attorneys. Needless to say, I was well-prepared for a battle ... a battle that never came.

Before I traveled, I checked the TSA regs as well as the "official" stances of UK and Spain concerning MMJ. The TSA says that it's only concern is passenger safety and that they are not a law enforcement agency. I also checked several travel forums to see what others say on the subject, and everyone in the US seemed to say the same thing: the TSA is not interested in busting you. (But I wouldn't shove stuff under their noses, either.) And, I suspect the dogs in US airports are more interested in bomb material smells than in weed. None of the dogs I saw exhibited any kind of interest in me.

the UK government is quite strict about every aspect of MMJ, but I encountered no problems at all. Their airport security have been told to focus on passenger safety as well. International travelers who have small amounts are not bothered. In one airport my carry-on was inspected and every single item was physically examined. Everything! The guard looked at all my meds, even the oil syringes, and then very respectfully placed everything back in place! (The airport guards overseas don't scream at you like American TSA and they are actually quite nice and friendly.)

Weed is legal to smoke recreationally in Spain and they have an MMJ program, too. Recreational smoking clubs in Spain are everywhere and easy to join. And you can grown your own plants there. I thought this was a curious attitute - I expected them to be quite strict, but then I realized that Spain borders Morocco and some of the world's best hash comes from the Rif Valley there, so it makes sense that the government is more concerned with smuggling than it is with individuals' smoking. Again, no worries at all in the airports. E-cigs are very popular in Spain it seems.

Oh, I also traveled to the Mecca of all weed, Amsterdam ... needless to say, getting into the country is a breeze ... but all flights coming out of Amsterdam to the US are heavily monitored, so I wouldn't chance carrying anything but legal MMJ back into the US.

As for traveling in the US by car/bus/train, across state borders, NORML has a page with state reciprosity agreements about MMJ here: http://norml.org/legal/medical-marijuana-2 . Also have a look at other advice on that site about traveling with your meds.

Last words: Be careful. Be prepared for the consequences. You have a right to treat your medical conditions.