Transplating from pot to ground.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wigger beater, Aug 13, 2007.

1. First time ever growing, and I have a 2 plants that are about a foot high in the pot now. I figure it is about time to put them in the ground. Question, can i I just plant them in the ground and cover them with the dirt there, or do I have to bring my own soil? Also, how deep should I put them in the ground? Thanks.

2. You should really start by reading this thoroughly:

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-outdoor-growing/27092-gr0wers-depth-how-grow-outdoors.html

But to sum up, I believe the answers to your questions are:

1) Yes, but the existing soil in the ground may or may not be optimal.

2) You don't want the finished product to be too much lower or higher than the surrounding plot. So if you're container is 6" high, then I would dig a 8-9" hole. That way you can put a couple inches of moss or mulch or whatever to disguise the container.

Long story short, I would definately start with some containers unless you are trying to grow a 7' Sativa or something huge like that. You can always take them out of the container later and transplant direct into the ground if you think the plants are rootbound.

Hope this helps,

Be safe and have fun!

3. so you're saying I should bury the pot in the ground with it??

4. Yes sir.

Make sure there are some drainage holes in the bottom, to avoid root rot.

Again, if the plant becomes overly huge, you can always ditch the container.

5. hey guys whats up?
    this year (about a month ago), i transplanted 20 plants into the ground and so far the results are like this so far!

20 plants in 10" pots
    16 directly in the ground
    4 bottoms of pots cut out and planted in the ground

the 4 that are still in the pots never got any wider,
    the other 16 doubled in height and width so far.
    so id say its better to remove the pot because roots not only grow down, but horizontally as well.
    the pot kinda strangles the top of the root ball as it expands, and growth slows to a crawl!
    hope this helps!

6. Well my friend is a big grower, and he said that even big 5 gallon pots arent big enough to leave your plants in. Not to get as big as he wants anyway. It would be easier for me to leave them in the pots though. Can I get away with it? Will it cut down on my yield?

7. Yeah, if yield is the number one priority, you'll have to do away with the containers at some point, because as suspect points out, they restrict the root growth eventually, and that is what affects the yield.

8. it most definately affects the yield....
    my last indoor op. some of my plants were in small 4 inch pots,
    and I had to transplant them @ 5 weeks into bud.
    they were fine quality wise, and they matured @ the same rate
    as the rest that didnt have to be transplanted. but were about
    30% smaller.