Transplanting your plant mid-grow...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ShadowMonkey, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Has anyone here ever experimented with transplanting a plant into new soil right before flowering?
    Would there be a benefit to doing this vs. adding nutrients? What about using one kind of soil for
    vegging and another for flowering? Ever transplanted three times?

2. Yes this is common practice however its usually best to allow the plants time to become well established in the pot before flowering

Yes, a suitable sized pot will be a huge benefit over one that is too small.

I don't think changing soil would offer any advantage. Pick the best one and use that throughout

Yes, people often transplant 3 times, sometimes more

• Like Like x 1
  3. There's no reason to change soil if there are no problems with it (such as drainage)

Transplanting can be beneficial, but be very careful of doing so when flowering, don't want to stress a female into a Hermie..

4. Pistil I was thinking of doing this to increase the natural nutrients in the soil which have been depleted.
    Gold: So you see no real benefit in transplanting. Better off to just leave the plant intact in original soil.

5. Why are u trying to use New soil to begin with? Just flush the plants with a gallon or so or water a couple times then use your flowering nutrients . Your gonna end up shocking em and killing em.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

6. Most of the nutrients in the soil would be used quickly, especially when flowering.

Basically, don't fix what's not broken.

7. BuzzyChuck: To start the flowering process with new soil which has natural nutrients based on the
    mix to replace the nutrients used during the veg part of the grow? Basically give the plant some fresh
    soil to use for the last half of the grow. Just curious. I have not used a soil which has enough nutrients to last
    the entire grow, but I'm trying one right now. Was wondering if transplanting may solve this problem.
    Pistil: Good point. but would they be used up quickly with super soil? Would they be used with fresh soil?
    would they be used with specially mixed organic soil prepared with a special mix and cooked for over
    a month?

8. Basically man if u wanna transplant it's on you. I won't do it. I use ten or twenty gallon soil root bags when I grow usually. It puts to much stress on the plant trying to re root . Good luck .

9. Agree Buzz: I'm trying to learn if it would beneficial or not since I heard some people do this. What started me
    thinking about it was I've been trying to just find some kind of soil which would let your grow the entire plant without adding anything. I started with Roots Organic and it needed help just when flowering started. So it got me looking at super soil and special mixes of organic soil. Seems like from what I've read for the general overall health of the plant, roots, it would be better just to leave it alone. Just what Gold said. He knows this stuff.

10. Yea man just use the nutrients you normally use check your ph regularly. I try to keep mine around 5.5 seems good for visitors growth

11. No, there is definitely a benefit in transplanting if the pot it's currently in is too small. Transplant at least a week before flowering to give the plants time to settle in

12. Transplanting one is no big deal as long as you do it right. Let the plant dry out really well...that famous nearly dead dry it needs to be before you water, prep your new container with fresh soil and tap around the current container and bottom to loosen the root ball from the pot. Depending on the size of the plant, you might need a second set of hands to help, but just set it over into the new setup and cover with fresh soil. I transplant all throughout veg and flower...whenever the plants need it and it keeps me from having to water constantly when a plant becomes root bound. If you do it right, they'll never even show stress. TWW

13. Oh I thought you were against it Gold when you said changing the soil would not give you an advantage. And well established in the pot before flowering. I thought by being well established you meant it will be well established in
    the pot at flowering time so don't mess with it. Guess I read what you said wrong. I start out in a single red cup and then transplant into a five gallon felt container. It seemed to me five gallons would be plenty, but now I'm looking at trying to use soil only without having to add anything during the grow. I don't even know if it will work or not. With this being said, I've been experimenting from the beginning the first one being two AK48 grows one flowering at five weeks and the other at one week. Just to see what happens. Next it will be to grow two auto flowers one using Flora trio chemicals and the other using Kind soil one gallon and four gallons of Root's Organic. It might work. My hope is the Root's Organic will give the plants plenty of nutrients for veg and then if it needs some more during flower the Kind soil will be there for it's dining pleasure. Have no clue if it will work or not. We'll see.