Transplant, or not to transplant?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Cover&Duck, Jul 20, 2009.

1. #1 Cover&Duck, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
    My girls are on day 7 of flowering as of right now, and I transplanted them from 1gal to 3gal a week and a half ago. Now when I lifted the pots up just a minute ago, you can see roots from the bottom drainage holes of the pots. Im unaware if its safe to transplant during flowering?:confused:If so, its no problem I can put them in 5gal but obviously transplanting them would stunt growth for atleast a day or maybe two. However, leaving them in and letting them get rootbound, (was close last time) seems a lot worse. Any input on this matter would be appreciated.:poke:
    P.S. The plants look very happy as of right now, which is why I am asking if I should transplant...

Setup: 400w HPS, Light on: 75deg/50%RH Light off: 68-70deg/55-60%RH
    FF Tiger Bloom, FF Bloom Boost, FF Grow Big (obv)
    Plants are in 3gal pots

2. What size pots? How long did the plants veg for? If you want to do something like that after flowering has started it is probably a better idea to double pot it. Cut the bottom out of the pot. fill another the same size with dirt and stack the original pot on top. It would be a good idea to seal any light that may get through between the two. That will also keep them together. You don't want to run into any problems at this stage.

3. They are currently in 3 gal pots, and if I cut only the bottom out, wouldnt the roots try to grow through the sides and basically through the plastic of the pot?

4. How big are the plants? You know the strain? A three gallon container should be fine for a decent sized plant. Cutting the bottom of the container out and setting it on top of new soil will encourage the roots to grow deeper. The bigger your root system, the bigger and faster your plant will grow.

5. The plants are around 2 and 1/4ft tall..sorry I can't be more specific the lights are off currently. Im currently growing Cheese (from GHSCo), Nigerian x Afghan (from Afropips), and California Hash Plant (from Attitude?). The plants were vegged for 31 days and were around 17.5" going into flowering.

6. If they look healthy they should be fine. A little bit of roots growing out the bottom isnt a big deal. Also, if you can, two transplants through the plants life is ideal. The first pot you put the seedling/clone in, and the final pot the plant will finish in.

7. Sorry about the delay my fucking power company allowed my power to go out for a good 2-3 hours, so the lights went off 4 or so hours early. This shouldn't cause my plants to hermie should it? And also, it's 10:16am EST right now, lights are supposed to go off at 12:00pm EST. Would it be beter to just leave them in the dark, or turn the light back on for 1hr45min and then turn it off again at noon? Im assuming it would be better just to leave the light off until midnight when it comes back on..:confused:

P.S. The plants started off in 1gal containers(seed-veg), which is what slightly threw the whole transplanting process off.

8. They should be fine with the little extra time of darkness. Yeah the first transplant you want to be big enough for the roots to spread and the plant to grow, but small enough that you will get a decent rootball, making the transplant a whole lot easier.

"You got to be dumb as hell to get fired on yo day off!"

9. Haha aight, well thats a relief, I chose not to turn the light back on obviously, as it will come back on at midnight:). I really appreciate your help throughout this transplanting issue, thank you. +Rep and + Rep for the friday quote :smoking::hello::smoking:

10. Hey no prob man, friend request? I can't say I know EVERYTHING about the holy herb, but I should be able to help with most soil problems. I don't do hydro, too much shit to worry bout. I have a journal, check it out sometime:smoke:

11. #12 Cover&Duck, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
    Aight will do man, yeah hit me up w/ a friend request or sumthin....Im high as fuck right now so...you should probably handle it lol...:hello::bongin:

P.S. Ill post pics of the girls when I turn the lights on tonight.

12. Turned the light back on, the girls are looking good, although they are getting very big fast, and Im going cut out the bottom and add another 3 inches or so of soil on the bottom of each one by putting them in identical 3 gal containers, (like mentioned above). The cheese is 26", nigerian x afghan 23", cali hash plant 21". Day 9 of flowering.

13. After cutting the bottoms of the current pots out, I placed them in identical 3gal pots with an additional 3 1/2"-4" of FFHF soil and watered. I sealed the pots together with a sturdy reflective tape, so the roots should be in a completely dark environment. I don't have pics with the updated transplant but I will tomorrow. Day 9 of 12/12
    Enjoy:hello::smoking::bongin::bongin:
    Nigerian x Afghan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheese:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

CHP:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Girls:
    [​IMG]

14. Hey how big is your grow space? You should see a lot of new growth soon here. Also when do you plan to flower? That plant will double it's size by the time it's done flowering. Just be aware of your space, if you run out you would have options.

15. #16 Cover&Duck, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
    My grow space is basically a smaller space in the whole grow space(4 x 4 x 10'). I plan on using the entire room next grow, and I wasnt shooting for a huge yield, just a good amount to last me until winter time. Next time tho Ill use the whole room for sure, it's about 10x the size of the space Im using now, so everything should be ok. As far as the flowering goes, they are currently on day 9 of flowering. I might have to take these girls out of this space though because they are going to get much bigger, I hope not, but we'll see what happens.

16. Well start flowering asap! You could top it, or tie down some tops if space is REALLY going to be an issue. You don't want to have to fuck with that after it really starts flowering. Yeah to be honest I've been growing the same shit cause I can't get my hands on anything else. I have probably about six years condensed together, minus time I wasnt growing, so I have grown other strains. It is very good weed. You ever smoke sensi? I'm trying to get my hands on some seeds or clones soon here.:smoking:

17. sensi star is def a favorite of mine. Not to mention it looks amazing every time I've picked it up or seen it. Ill post pics in an hour and a half of the plants:smoking::hello:

18. Here are the girls as of right now w/ transplant:
    [​IMG]

19. I speak for myself on this but every transplant I have done went amazing. Zero shock factor and new growth the next day. Highly reccommended.