transplant into 5 gal buckets soil grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by potblower, Mar 13, 2010.

1. hey gonna trasplant into 5 gal buckets, got 1 regular black one and was gonna buy one of those orange ones at homedepot but anyways do u guys drill holes at the bottom for drainage or do u just go drainless, also about how much water should u give em in 5 gals

2. Definitely drill holes at the bottom of the bucket. Otherwise, your plant will most likely become waterlogged and drown to death. Drainage is essential.

I don't have experience with 5gal buckets, but I would imagine that in order to get some runoff from a typical watering, you would need around 2gal. Of course, it all depends on how moist the soil is already, and it's quality/drainage.

Now, if you need to flush the plant, that would require about 15gal of clean water. General rule is flushing = 3x size of pot. Some people would say go as low as "2x size of pot" but it depends on how unbalanced the soil is.

3. yea i havent had to flush yet, but thats only when u want the fert. chemicals to get out right before harvest right?

4. Well, yeah...or if, during the grow, the plant experiences some nute overload/burn or the soil's Ph is too high/low. Most of the time a good, balanced flush will take care of abundant nutrients or Ph issues.