trailing the black market as research for a movie?

Discussion in 'General' started by infiniteawesome, Jan 26, 2006.

1. hey guys, just watched the new nicholas cage movie, lord of war. Really good, suggest it to anyone to watch, the opening title sequence is so freaking awesome, it's hard to describe how really well done the cinemetography, acting, and overall writing is.

ANYWHO, i figured that while the movie Lord of War definately gets at issues that are perhaps more pressing than cannabis decriminalization and legalization (illegal armaments trafficking, capitalist exploitation of other countries, and also the growing sense of indifference towards outright violence and injustice are some of the movies more pressing themes), that the format of this movie could easily be applied to an interesting dramatic take on the varieties of the not so underground cannabis culture.

The story would perhaps mainly focus on and over-dramaticize certain kinds of regular cannabis users, deal with its comparison to other drugs, general information about the plant itself, but also deal with the downfalls of the black market in cannabis and the possibility of government conspiracy concerning drug policy.

Believe it or not, the movie's subject matter would probably take off since most movie's start in hollywood and of course, cannabis is just around the corner in cali.

The problem is tracing back cannabis into the black market, where is it grown? how is it generally grown? Where is it coming from? How are the general transactions made? What is the culture behind large scale drug trafficking? Who are the people behind black market drug trafficking? What techniques do they use to not get caught? etc. etc. etc. Where could I possibly start finding out about these things without getting involved in the black market itself?

Over-dramatization of some of the cultural and overall moral standpoints concerning the drug war has already been accomplished in the movie, "Traffic" (also highly recommended) but it comes from a very neutral and cold standpoint concerning the drug war, though in the end they take the standpoint against it.

The purpose of this movie would be to combine both the humor behind general cannabis culture from a slightly more mainstream point of view (though accuracy will be driven home over the dramatization etc.) Basically, being honest about cannabis culture in all it's aspects, negative and positive (for which there will always be in any culture), while in the end putting the ideas of cannabis legalization as not only a good thing, but a cure for an unnecessary evil . . . what do you guys think? am i just having some stupid pipe dream or would any of you be interested in seeing such a movie?

2. You sound like a cop

3. you do sound like a cop.

4. :rolleyes:

I'd watch the movie... it would probably interest me.

5. There's no way you're getting any info on it without getting involved. That shit is on a need-to-know basis. If you want to know who sells a dozen pounds of weed every week and how they do it, you're gonna have to buy it from them.

You can't just say "Hey, I want to know everything about how you run your business...for a movie I'm making."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Exactly.

Well, here are the names, addresses and numbers of all the dealers that sell me pounds.

Not.

7. uh.. i dont get where any of you guys got that from his post... anyways, i think it sounds like a cool idea.

but ive got to tell you, the only way your going to learn about the trade is to actually get involved. there are no fieldtrips welcome to the blackmarket.

8. Clear things up a little bit for ya?

9. i dont think hes asking for names and addresses... he doesnt want to make a biography of John Wilsons drug business.

im sure he means who, as in general. who are these people, why did they get into this business, how did it come about, and where has it taken them.

he wants to make a documentary. something INTELLIGENT. hes not a cop.

10. I kind of like the idea as well.

11. But it's unrealistic. No one is gonna let you tape talking about all the illegal shit they do the black market anarchistic and is trying to stop the government plus I think if the cops did see something like that they would try there best to catch them then probably use your movie as evidence.

12. ^^ it's true. If you aren't involved, it would be too great of a risk to let anyone in on the details! Like for example, I couldn't just ask my dealer to go to his grower's houses to view the plants. Not only would that put my dealer and the growers at risk, but it would put me at risk. It just isn't worth it.

I'm not going to tell you that you aren't extremely interesting well spoken poster, but I do believe that once you start understanding the business more and work more closely with your dealer you will find that this scene isn't as cool, exciting or even as interesting as you may think. As much as I'm thankful for the growers in my area, it is no life to live man. There is little romantic about it outside of caring for the beautiful plants.

13. this thread is teh funny!!1:D

14. i agree w/ most of the respondents on the thread. you would be putting yourself at risk (legally and your safety) to do such a documentary.

anytime there is illegal stuff going on w/ large sums of money involved, expect there to be people who will empty a mag in your face w/o thinking twice about it.

:hello: 500th post!:hello:

15. man, i'll not only see the movie, i'll probably be the one ending up making the movie.. i've started a script like that with the theme of alcohol vs cannabis.. it's very explicit in its message too so everybody can pick up on it..

heh, it's not for sure though.. it's hard to get the attention of producers

16. one more thing..

"The problem is tracing back cannabis into the black market, where is it grown? how is it generally grown? Where is it coming from? How are the general transactions made? What is the culture behind large scale drug trafficking? Who are the people behind black market drug trafficking? What techniques do they use to not get caught? etc. etc. etc. Where could I possibly start finding out about these things without getting involved in the black market itself?"

dealers will not just give up their secrets of not getting caught, but most of them are pretty simple and obvious.

when he said "Who are the people behind black market drug trafficking?" i think he means what are they like and what have their lives been like, not what's your social insurance number. not who are the faces behind the cannabis market, but who are the people, why do they do it, etc

i don't think he's a cop, he's not asking US for this info, he's just throwing a good idea in the air for anyone who wants to catch it. but if i were to do a documentary on this, i wouldn't get the info straight from dealers and growers, i'd go interview the people who use the drug and let them tell me about their experiences and opinions with the black market.

if anyone thinks this is a risky thing, they should read a very well written ethnography call "In Search for Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio" by Phillipe Bourgois.