traded on craigslist - my hvy glass for 400w mh - surprised

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Santiago, Dec 29, 2009.

1. So I was searching on craigslist for any grow lights on sale and I found one wanting to trade a bong or vape for his 400w mh lamp. I hit him up for more details and his pics and description were good. He was interested in my offer (13" hvy glass with 8 tree perc) so I met today and picked it up.

This thing's friggin' huge! The pictures didnt do it proportional justice at all. It's got approx. a 18" diameter plate glass and stands about 2 1/2 ft tall. After researching what i think I've got is not at all what I expected. It's some type of overhead lamp part of a store or mall setup.

The brand is Cooper Lighting, and I think the part number for the fixture is a wm40. The bulb is stamped as such:

Sylvania
    400w
    metalarc
    m59
    r
    m400/u

I was hoping to find a replacement bulb with a similar cri rating of 22 and color temp of 2700k to emulate a hps bulb. I seriuosly doubt I'll be able to find that.

It has a 240 plug, but I'm using it in a room where isn't any 240 outlets. I'm going to try to find a step down converter to connect it to the 120 outlets.

I honestly don't even know if I'll be able to use it at all. At least all I'm out of is a bong that I wasn't even using anymore (100% vape for me).

It's amazing the stuff I find.

2. You don't have to buy a step-down transformer. Just replace the transformer in the ballast. As a matter of fact, the ballast transformer may be multi-tap that will take 110v just by changing the input wire. GL on your new toy! That is a big honkin light btw.

3. Just make sure it's actually 240 and not 277 because 277 is three-phase and you will need an expensive stepdown to convert it to single-phase. I would also scrap the street light housing and make a reflector or buy a new one. You might have to go ask that dude for a couple of bonghits to satiate your buyers remorse. Oh, and I would invest in a HPS conversion bulb for flowering too...:bongin:

4. Yah, I think I'm gonna have an electrician friend look at it before I go any further. It's gonna take some thinking for sure.....

OH yah, forgot....I looked for a HPS conversion bulb, but couldn't find anything that's compatible with it.

5. You know, that's not a bad idea. I didn't even think of getting rid of the light housing. If I could get rid of that, that would make it a bit more versatile......very cool.

Thanks!!

6. naw if u run it in a 240 outlet it will be way cheaper

7. If the ballast is a multi-tap ballast it will allow you to rewire it to 120V, otherwise you are stuck at the voltage it's wired for.

Here is a 400 watt conversion bulb:

Buy Eye Ultra Ace 400 Watt HPS Conversion Bulbs Here!

They aren't cheap, but they are worth it.

You can mount all of the other components on a fire-proof surface (aluminum works best). Email me if you need any wiring diagrams or any help. Good luck!

8. I'd suggest a Ceramic Metal Halide bulb over a conversion bulb since they work in an HPS ballast as well:

Phlips MasterColor Ceramic Metal Halide ~ CMH ~ HPS-Retro White

They last longer, have more lumens, are smaller, throw off less heat, have a better light spectrum, and are half the price. What's not to love?

9. I am definitely looking at this bulb. I couldn't find anything resembling flowering lighting, so this is very very cool!! Also, thanks for the help with the diagrams. I'll be in touch

I'm confused about the horizontal/vertical options here. I think the one I need is a vertical, but what if I switch the housing to a reflector that places the bulb in a horizontal position. This sounds silly as all hell, but will that make a difference, if i have to buy a 'vertical' bulb? I like this bulb a lot, but I just want to make sure I get the right light.