Total Noob Micro Grow. (Mini Fridge Growbox)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by jackzobe, May 29, 2013.

1. Hey guys, i'm a total noob, but i've been lurking for a while and just moved to my own place and was gonna start a little growbox for her personal use to save a few hundred bucks in the long run. I have a few windshield reflectors, the fridge and a few power strips. The fridge is 3' tall, 2' wide, and 2' deep. I'm having trouble deciding which lights to use. Pretty much every other person is saying cfl's would be best but i just wanna be sure. before i waste some cash on shitty lights. i was thinking maybe 2 6500k, and a 2700k cfl for veg then 3 2700k and 1 6500k for flowering. The next concern is circulation, i was thinking of putting a 4"  fan near the bottom of the fridge, another intake fan blowing across the bulbs, then a 5" exhaust fan on the other end of the lights. Another question i was curious about is, whether to do an organic grow or a small DWC grow. Iv'e already read a lot and lurked through several threads but as a lot you guys keep saying, you can never stop learning. 

2. Hey man, good luck with your first grow and welcome to GC. In order for us to help you we will need some more specifications, like how many plants you plan to have in there, what wattage do each of your light has (if you are going with CFLs just look at the lowest watt writen on the box). The fans setup sounds good. As for the organic vs DWC i am not the correct person to tell you what to do as i have never tried hydro, but i think it is clearly about preference more than anything, but i would say go with organic for a first grow as it is more forgiving and requires less attention.
    The helpful people of grasscity will surely give more insight than i can when you give them the additional information, but i hope i have helped even a little :)

3. thanks man, I don't have any lights yet, I'm still in the planning phase of it; but as for the plants i was just hoping to get 2 at a time.

4. #4 PotheadRoy1, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
    Hws it going jack im about to start my second grow but first time in my mini fridge I just finishd it well almost haha I personally would do cfls witch is what im doing 6-26watt 2700k for flower of course and my temp is a little high 88 but I will be putting a fan inside witch should make the temps drop a bit so I should be good as for the soil or hydro its up too yu if you know what your doing I personally do soil as I dont know anything about hydro yet. Your setup dosent sound bad eitger do you have any pics? Here is hw mine looks so far good luck and happy growing :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

5. #5 jackzobe, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
    Yeah it's 3.3 cubic ft. I got the reflective material on the back and bottoms already. And I was wondering 1) where I should put the fans? 2) how to make a light trap so no light can escape. I kind of like how roys is in the center on the back. I would maybe want another one at the top on the side to blow across the lights and the exhaust on the opposite side.

Attached Files:

6. sorry for the picture sizes. i sent them from my phone.

7. Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I did quite the research on mini fridges and its the best place to put them on the center back intake at bottom and outtake on top and another fan inside to move air around and cool bulbs down, about light trap im not 100% sure still have to figure that out but if I find something on it I will let yu In on it its really all up to you on what to do or how to do it remember mistakes makes perfection best of luck to you bro

8. thanks man, That's probably what i'll end up doing, I'm hopefully gonna go get a drill and a hole saw soon so i can start making the intake and exhaust holes. I was also gonna try and get the lights soon, would 3-4 23w 6500k bulbs with 1 23w 2700k bulb be good for veg then switch it too 4 2700k with 2 65;s be good, also iv'e been looking inot the single 125w cfls. maybe one for flowering with a 23w 6500k on each side be about the same end result. I'm just tryna make a list of the shit i still need to get.

9. Hows it going jack well I got a buddy of mine that sent this to me for how a light trap should be he said a shoe box is the best thing to use I will be making mine this weeknd! Hope this helps out happy growing :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

10. #10 jackzobe, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
    Well here's the box with the babies about to get started. I germed the seeds for 24 hours and they both popped but my girlfriend went ahead and planted them and put em in. They've been in since the first, and they still haven't broke the surface, how long should I let them sit for before I should worry?

Oh and the seeds are from ministry of cannabis and it's their northern lights strain. image.jpg