Total beginner

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by datPhace, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Hi I'm starting my first grow and I used the paper towel to get the taproots started and the root is maybe 3/8 of an inch how long should it be when I put it in my soil? And I have another plant that I am "babysitting and the root is red what does that mean?

2. The roots, or stem is red on the other one?

As for yours, plant it any time, many of us skip pre germinating completely and if that works then so should planting yours while the tap root is at any length

3. The roots are red the stem does not appear to be there yet and I will plant mine shortly then

4. It's a plant you are baby sitting so I'm compelled to believe it's already sprouted. That said... I'm not sure how you are viewing the roots and how it doesn't have a stem.

Or is it in about the same stage as your seed and it's tap root is red?

5. It's about the same stage just the taproot is 1 inch and has a red tint to it

6. That's probably a quite a bad sign. Can't say I have any real knowledge about it, but that surely can't be a good sign. I'd suggest getting it into your soil/medium ASAP and keep fingers crossed

7. It's about the same stage just the taproot is 1 inch and has a red tint to it

8. They are ready to do into soil now. Don't wait and let the taproot get too long.

9. Okay thank you guys but how long should I wait for a sprout once they are planted? I have them indoors under a 120 watt light

10. A day, a few days, a week or more even. It's hard to guess. Plant them ~ no more then 1/2" deep.

11. Ez guys, I got a question for some of you.. I'm growing some lovely exedus cilis at the moment... (yeah, those ones) and it's my first ever grow. Just as I was sitting back and admiring my work, the intake filter I'd just fitting 2 minutes earlier fell off the tents canopy and landed on 2 of my little babies! A somewhat comical moment until I realised my main girl got wacked. Anyway, 11 survived... 2 got smashed up... leaving one decapitated and the other revealing it's roots as half of her soil headed for my face. They're all about 10 days old, 100mm high and have just grown their first set of leaves (about 6-8 in total). Both were looking really healthy and I'm just wondering, have i just committed a massive faux pas (as well as being a complete f**king doughnut), or will these girls survive? If they do survive will they turn into a different type of vegetable and need wheels on their plant pots? Are their chances of surviving this pretty good or should I pop out to get some more seeds ASAP?

12. put the seed into the soil, taproot up. make a pilot hole just deep enough so that the seed sits just below the surface of the soil.

the red stem is no concern on a baby plant

13. Also make sure to keep the soil moist, not saturated so it will continue to grow you don't want to let it dry out

14. The taproot goes up?

15. yeah, the plant unfolds and grows. if you put it the other way, itll have to expend energy to turn itself the proper way.

making sure all the soil is moist but not wet will promote better root growth vs. misting and keeping the top layer of soil moist.

spraying the top layer of soil should only be done for germination. when germination is over, water, let soil dry out, water etc.

16. Could that explain why my plants have yet to break the soil?

I put the seed about 1/2 an inch under but the taproot was DOWN and all I have noticed was the soil above the seed has made a little hill and it's been about 5 days on 2 of the plants and about 2 on the others but and the soil tends to stay moist on the bottom but it dries out all the way down.

Do I need a drainage hole?

And I have a meter thing that says the moisture content I rarely let it go under 10% moisture level in the soil

17. thats a bit far down. in nature, the cannabis plant just drops the seeds on top of the soil, and some of the seeds are able to grow that way.

i just push a non germinated seed in the soil just till its level. then i cover with soil.

i do keep the seed in a cup of water for a couple hours before that, just so some water will penetrate the shell and start the process.

i keep wet with a sprayer until it sprouts, then i start my water regime.

if they dont sprout in a week, gently dig them up and see whats going on

18. I will defiantly try your more natural method and I just tried to dig around one of my seedlings and she has a super long root now that's good right?

19. Yes that is good just keep the soil moist and let her grow

20. I will keep a grow journal and post it soon as they break soil thanks for all the help